• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory test on POST taking longer than usual

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
I don't really know what happened last night, but at some point, both Explorer.exe and something involving Dr. Watson in Windows XP crashed. When I woke up this morning, I tried restarting the computer, but I had to do it via the reset button. The mouse cursor would not even move. Upon hitting the reset button, it sat there on the memory test for a good 5 minutes doing nothing, but with a massive amount of HDD activity. I decided to just power it down, and left for work. When I got home I powered on the system again, and noticed the same thing. I went into the other room to use the other computer, and came back in to the main rig I use, to find the Windows desktop sitting here. I have never seen this happen before, and was wondering if anyone here has and knows of any possible solutions? The system in question is, Abit AS8, P4 530J (3.0@3675 245x15), 2 GiB dual channel Patriot Signature Line PC-3200 with 5:4 divider @3-4-4-8, FX5700LE, SB Audigy 2, Seagate 320 GB Sata HDD. If any more info is needed, just ask, I will give it willingly.

You might take a look at the Drwtsn32.log file to see if it gives you a clue. While my experience is limited here I have experienced similar delays as XP recovered when I've crashed the OS with an overclock.

Hopefully a one time problem.

I don't know if it was from the overclock or not, as it has been running just fine since that issue first came up. The only thing in the DrWtsn32.log said something about "Symbol file could not be found". I will post this error in the Windows section, and see if anyone has any experience picking these logs apart, and maybe get an idea of what might have happened.

Back