• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake? Just my luck.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lolek

Registered
So awhile back I purchased a Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS from the Egg. It had a nice instant discount and a decent MIR. Everything was great, I bought it within the necessary time frame to be eligible for the rebate, and all was well with the world.

Until I actually got the case.

OPPS Ground Shipping banged it up to all hell. It wouldn't have been a huge concern except the exterior panels had been warped from a pretty hefty dent.
So I decided--"Hey, I'll just RMA it and THEN send in the rebate!"

No.

See, I had a very small window (20 days of original purchase) within which to send that rebate. Despite the techie at the Egg assuring me (and my own knowledge that this wouldn't happen) be returned before the deadline, AND my sending in the case on the same day (rather than his suggested Monday), I recieved my prestine Armor replacement--

On the deadline for which the MIR had to be postmarked.
During this time I had tried to contact Thermaltake USA. Their website was a treat, to say the least. I finally realized I had no choice but to use some impractical "support request" form to get any help.
The next day, a representative of unknown position sends their response:

Dude said:
Dear [Lolek]:
Thank you for purchase Thermaltake products. Please mail out all
necessary documents once you have it, and also email me your detail address,
full name. I will honor this rebate to you manually. Thanks.

Best Regards

[---]
Thermaltake USA
525 Parriott Place
City of Industry, CA 91745

Here I am thinking "Awesome!"
I get the rebate out a couple days late, and that was before the whole Christmas break season.
Well, despite several e-mails to Ms. Dude since then asking for some kind of confirmation, and the "status-now.com" site which I'm told to check my rebate status on (by the rebate form) returning absolutely nothing, I think it's safe to assume I've been boned.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
First, I dont think its proper to put peoples names in your posts. How would you like your name spread across a forum?

Second, rebates can take up to months to be processed. So I think you need to just wait it out and see what happens.

Third, rebates are ALWAYS hit and miss. NEVER buy something with the assumption you WILL get the rebate.

First, I dont think its proper to put peoples names in your posts. How would you like your name spread across a forum?
Sorry. I was under the impression this woman was a representative--hence, the name and affiliation with the company would be public knowledge. But you're right, that was poor thinking on my part. I'll edit it.

Second, rebates can take up to months to be processed. So I think you need to just wait it out and see what happens.
I've never actually sent in a MIR before, since they really aren't my cup of tea--obviously. I knew the money'd take a long time to get, but I thought some confirmation would be made.
Third, rebates are ALWAYS hit and miss. NEVER buy something with the assumption you WILL get the rebate.
Good advice for future purchases. Thanks~
(Common sense, too. Guess I failed on that one.)

I have never received any kind of confirmation for rebates, but have also never used rebate sites. They have always been manufacture rebates that you just mail in.

My approach to rebates is this. If I get it great, if not, oh well :)

I always look at the before rebate price. If its still a good deal then I just consider the rebate as a possible bonus. Generally speaking I get my rebates back eventually. However there have been a few times I havent.

Back