• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tigerdirect?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ratbuddy

I've noticed people tend to pick on Tiger in random remarks on the site here and there, I've never heard bad stuff about them elsewhere though. Are they a known shoddy vendor or something?

This should go into vender discussion

I order from them various times and ever once I had to deal with their RMA. So far I have all my rebates from TD.

Many people are unlucky with their rebates and those who dealt with their RMA said it was a nightmare but I guess im one of the lucky ones :D

Ack thought I put it in vendor discussion, I'll try and get it moved.. Sorry

Living in in a town with a tigerdirect store it is my choice for computer goods that i need that day...
The rebates have gotten a lot better now that they have moved to a 3rd party rebate center.
return/rma still sucks soo bad. DO NOT expect them to be overly helpfully or to ever get your money back for anything you bought. Once you buy something from them you are stuck with spending that money at there store, unless it is unopened. Even if said item is defective.

I will not buy from their website or anything that involves rebates. Only from their retail store if I am in a jam for a piece of hardware.

ive never had a problem with them but newegg just feels somewhat better to me

ive given a couple bills to TD throught the years but i have never had to do rma or rebates with them so i cant give you any info on that

After the third bait and switch for items advertised at the Tigerdirect website I determined I will never buy anything from them again. Three strikes and they are out.

ive never had a problem with them but newegg just feels somewhat better to me

i'll second this. i ordered most of my hardware for my build from newegg and some of it from TD (heatsink, ram, toolkit, thermal paste). all the newegg stuff got here faster even though it was ordered after. there was a $35 rebate on the ram which i did receive. so, nothing bad to note here either. nothing spectacular yet either.

i mainly just hate the way they advertise old hardware and market it as cutting edge stuff. especially the bundle kits with like pentium D's and sli 7300gt's for "ultimate gaming performance".

well.... prices are fairly good, but shipping is insane... thats what i dont like about them.

In general I have found that Tigerdirect is OK if you are buying higher end merchndise, but if you go for the cheap stuff then it will not neccisarily be good. I bought a Xatix MP3 player, and the item was a manufacturer reject - it didn't have the FM transmitter that it was supposed to, this was listed on the box. The rebates are HELL if you are buying more than one item.
My first TigerDirect purchase was a stick of RAM a monitor a network switch and something else. I had to make copies of teh invoices, print rebate forms, etc.etc. and it took ~2 months to get the rebates back.
The RAM didn't work (my fault) but that purchase was OK. With the MP3 player I bought (I got 2 differnt ones both with rebates) one fo the rebates was rejected and I didn't recieve it.

I would reccomend Newegg just because their prices are similar with no rebate haasle.

I do some work for a motherboard company's Forum, (guess which one!) and we see a LOT of bundled packages with, uh, "issues." Usually, the OP doesn't say who they got the package deal from, and when I (or the other Mods) guess, we guess TD. Most of the time, we're correct.

That alone, steers me away from them. (That, and the fact, that Ultra is their "house brand.")

steve

return/rma still sucks soo bad. DO NOT expect them to be overly helpfully or to ever get your money back for anything you bought.

false, i just RMAed a eVGA 680i T1 motherboard and got a full refund even AFTER i had replaced the heatsinks on the north and southbridge.

2 days, i never even talked to them on the phone - everything was by email. i got a full refund too :)

people do give TG a hard time around here and i have never had a problem with them. infact, they always seem to get my stuff shipped faster then newegg or clubit.

Before I discovered Newegg, I bought solely from TigerDirect. I bought over $1500 worth of stuff and luckily I only had one issue (i never tried any rebates). They sent me a mobo that I'm almost sure was used because it had thermal grease smeared near the socket. I kept the board anyway because it never gave me any trouble. Even so, I don't shop their anymore because I want the customer service guarantee that Newegg provides should things foul up. My brother had some issues with a ext hard drive from there and he wasn't happy with their customer service help, he eventually got it straightened out but they hassled him quite a bit he said.

Back