• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flow Meter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jim Morbid

Hey hey

Anyone using a flow meter and if so what type and is it decent? As much as it pains me to say, the only real one I've seen is the Koolance INS-FM15

I just want something that can shut my PC down in case of pump failure. Call me paranoid if you want :sn:

Thanks

JM

Last edited:
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. Water can hold quite a bit of heat, your temps are not going jump to a billion degrees in a split second. Not only that but your CPU will throttle it'self back, and even shut down the computer for you, if it gets too hot.

So in the unlikely event of pump failure, If you somehow manage to not notice the throttle down, your cpu will save itself. Although speaking from experience, you will know your pump has jus tturned off well before you pose any potential risk to your hardware

It will shut itself down. I had a short in the power lead to my pump for a while, and i had the pump "fail" at least a handful of times before I found the short. The first time was while I was away form my computer, it shut itself down. the other times were while actively on the computer and the throtteling was noticble, and I shut the machine down on my own.

And I don't mean to scare you, the short was my own fault and I had custom wired my case, and apparently had "broken" a wire.

as stated before the cpu will throttle and shut itself down if there is too much heat... plus it just add un needed restriction to the loop

I think I turned that CPU throttling thingy off tho so my CPU is alwayz at the 9x multi...

Same as I turned the "detect the CPU fan thing" off aswell

Lets face it if the pump fails even if there is a flow indicator if he is million miles away from home what can he really do?

I think watching water jet into your res is a pretty good indication of flow that doesnt cause any restriction.

What I'm also worried about (yes you can call me paranoid_man) is that the graphics card will meet its maker before the CPU shuts the machine down. I intend on vmodding my G80 GTS as soon as I can see what head room my WC'ing gives me but, since it already runs hotter than my CPU and doesn't have shutdown throttling, I'm just scared that I come home one day and end up using a Gefore4 MX for 3 months :p

JM

I really wouldn't worry about it. It's not that much different than if the fans on your GPU cooler and or case fans died.

Assuming you get a decent pump, you'll be fine.

Your BIOS can be set to shut down the PC at a certain temp, no need to worry about the GFX card.

(MCP655 has 'fan' sensing too, you can set it to shut down if the propellor stops spinning(no rpm))

Run dual pumps. I do.

This is the best alternative, really. Not to fuel your paranoia:eek:
but often the graphic card does go before the computer can shut down (there have been many reported cases of this) and futhermore:eek::eek:
there is also the possibility that if the CPU/Mobo overheats quickly enough, the system can crash and not be able to shut down......

It's the chance we all take for the ability to watercool, but the chance of two pumps failing are pretty slim. It's sort of RAID 5 for pumps:beer:

This is the best alternative, really. Not to fuel your paranoia:eek:
but often the graphic card does go before the computer can shut down (there have been many reported cases of this) and futhermore:eek::eek:
there is also the possibility that if the CPU/Mobo overheats quickly enough, the system can crash and not be able to shut down......

It's the chance we all take for the ability to watercool, but the chance of two pumps failing are pretty slim. It's sort of RAID 5 for pumps:beer:

Hahaha

Thanks I'll look into that later when I have some more cash.

JM

yup, my vidcard burnt to crisp in seconds when the air cooling fan failed, you have quite a bit better backup with watercooling (water mass to absorb heat.)
mines still not back from rma after over 2 months :(
(memory overheated, it wont boot anymore and gives massive artifacts)

It's sort of RAID 5 for pumps:beer:
more like raid 1 ;)

Back