• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could memory be my OC bottleneck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JFoxall

Registered
Hi all,

I'm trying to push my system to squeeze as much juice out of it as I can. I recently moved everything to an aluminum case with 4 fans and mounted an SK6 with a Sunon fan. My temps have dropped considerably, and event when pushing overclocking my temps are well below what they used to be in a stell case, so I think I've solved my cooling problems. However...

I've been dissappointed with the overclocking results. Everything is staying VERY cool at least, which is great. I haven't been able to push my 1.33tbird very high. I have it on an Asus A7V133, and the best I've been able to do is 143x10. Anything over that locks the system up, even when I bump up the voltage to the 1.85 max. Since it will boot into Windows even at 150x10 (but locks as soon as I attempt to run a program), and since I can run the 143x10 at standard voltage, I'm beginning to think its something else like RAM that's slowing me down. I know it's not heat, since I used to run the tbird stock and it would run 58.5c under load (it likes to run hot), and with all of my new cooling gear I can't get it past 51.5c (and it drops quickly after hitting that). I've had better luck overclocking my GeForce2 card (411memory and 225 core) which has helped performance dramatically. With my cooling problems solved, I was hoping to get the tbird running faster... The RAM I have has never given me any problems but I believe it's a generic brand. I have three sticks in the machine, two 128MB sticks and a (physicall smaller and newer) 256 MB stick. I'm going to try and pull the two 128MB sticks and see if I can push it harder with just the 256. I'm willing to replace all of the RAM with Crucial memory, but I don't want to do that if it won't make a difference.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, if this message should be posted elsewhere, I apologize and would appreciate it if someone would let me know where it would be best posted.

THANKS!

James

I bet you are right, the ram is holding you back.

Check in the bios to see if you are running it at CAS2 or
CAS3. If you are at CAS2 now, you can probably get
the fsb higher if you switch to CAS3, but your memory benches
will go down a bit.

I would recommend getting some of the crucial or kingmax
memory if you want to get up around 150......

I've tried to figure out how to set the CAS setting and I think I found it. All of the settings are at 3T, and when I changed them to 3T the system refused to boot. Perhaps I tried the wrong setting?

I'm thinking of spending the $80 to replace my 512MB with Crucual memory and roll the dice...

James

Unlock the cpu and drop the multiplier then see how high you can push the fsb.
Ths will ensure it's not the cpu not wanting to run at the speed.

Placid said:
Unlock the cpu and drop the multiplier then see how high you can push the fsb.
Ths will ensure it's not the cpu not wanting to run at the speed.

Interesting idea! I haven't been able to push the multiplier higher than 10 and change the FSB (fortunately, my chip is unlocked). I hadn't though of dropping it and pushing the bus further. This makes sense, and I can use it to see if the CPU is holding me back.

Thanks!

I was able to drop the multiplier a bit but still couldn't get the fsb over 143mhz. Sounds like it's not the processor holding me back don't you think?

Thanks,

James

Yes if 143x10 is ok and 143 is still the max with a lower multiplier.

Does your board let you change the memory voltage?
If so try increasing it .1 or .2v.

Placid said:
Yes if 143x10 is ok and 143 is still the max with a lower multiplier.

Does your board let you change the memory voltage?
If so try increasing it .1 or .2v.

I can change the core voltage, but I'm not sure about the memory voltage - I'll take a look. I'll be out by Best Buy and I'm thinking of dropping the $80 for 512MB of Crucial. I wonder what their return policy is on RAM? :)

James

The other thing you can do is pull all your add in cards(nic,sound,ect.) and if you still can't get over 143 fsb then try new memory.

Placid said:
The other thing you can do is pull all your add in cards(nic,sound,ect.) and if you still can't get over 143 fsb then try new memory.

I just picked up a 512MB stick from Best Buy. I'm going to give it a shot...

Back