• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Loudest component in water cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mycobacteria

I think (in the majority) the loudest component of water cooling is the Fan. And then the pump is a close seccond.

(Maybe set up poll)

yes, the fan is definitely the loudest(not that it really is loud depending on if you buy low or high cfm fans) But most pumps im sure, such as MCP665, are completely silent when no air is going thru it. With my 3 yate loons on the front on radiator, my psu fan makes more noise..lol

The only reason I haven't gone to WC'ing yet is the horrible sound of water scraping violently against tubing. Makes me want to scratch my eyes out. :)

Seriously though, I'd have to agree on the fan. The little WC'ing kit that I used for my 7900GS was pretty quiet, except for the fan.

The only reason I haven't gone to WC'ing yet is the horrible sound of water scraping violently against tubing. Makes me want to scratch my eyes out. :)

Seriously though, I'd have to agree on the fan. The little WC'ing kit that I used for my 7900GS was pretty quiet, except for the fan.

water scraping the tubing?...what kind of water you use?...water with sand in it? lol

I actually mix in a special thermal ingredient which includes, but is not limited to, silver, diamonds, and a little bit of copper.

It keeps my temps above 85C all the time for maximum stability but it needs a lot of cleaning.

I actually mix in a special thermal ingredient which includes, but is not limited to, silver, diamonds, and a little bit of copper.

It keeps my temps above 85C all the time for maximum stability but it needs a lot of cleaning.

um, why would you want temps ABOVE 85c?

anyhoo....

As for me, I still use a D4, it has a nice little "whine" to it. Hard to say wwhats louder, a Panaflo running at 114 CFM or the pump.

I've recently joined the club of people who find even 'silent' fans too loud, maybe I belong over at SPCR?

The pump is the loudest component in my PC, although the harddrives are a close second.

I've recently joined the club of people who find even 'silent' fans too loud, maybe I belong over at SPCR?

Then you'd hate my computer (62db fans make you wanna put hot pokers to your ears)

But ya, before the acrylic cracked on my gpu waterblock making me switch back to air, I would probably say the fans.

For me, it's actually my pump. It's an Eheim, and I have 3 Sanyo Denko 120MM, as well as a no-name 80MM hooked up to a fan controller. Lowest setting, and I still never see over 40C idle.

Currently? my 120mm panaflo fan. its not very loud....im thinking of looking for somthing quieter

Some people don't have pumps or fans :) (mostly just fanless :p)

I'm starting to get sick of my d4. It's a great pump performance wise, but that whining noise it tiresome. Maybe it's about time I traded it in for a D5...

Back