• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5K Vanilla BIOS 0805 issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dawgdoc

Was running an older BIOS for my P5K vanilla. Worked well with the Q6600 that previously was in there. I dont recall the BIOS number but it was release 7/07.

Put in my new E2160, and POST message starts yapping about CPU unrecognized, flash to new BIOS. Ok NP. Download the latest BIOS 0805 released 12/07. Still a beta but I always use the Asus beta BIOS with no probs on other boards so I wasnt worried. Did a quick search here on OCF and didnt see anything in a quickie look.

Flash to new BIOS NP. Reboot. Renognizes E2160. Great.

Start OCing the thing......once I get to 9X400 it starts yapping again about not recognizing the CPU again and I should flash to the latest BIOS. HUH? Version on top of the POST screen appropriately says 0805....wtf? Drop back down to 9X300 for 2.7 Ghz and no probs. Get up to 3.6Ghz and once again......POST telling me CPU unrecongnized.

Ok....so maybe the beta BIOS aint that great. Ill flash to the previous version 0705. Download it. Go to EZ-Flash.......and before I could even read the new BIOS I get a blank light blue screen. I let it stay there like a full 5 mins and kept waiting for something to happen, but nothing.

Reboot.....no POST. Crap.

Clear CMOS manually......No POST again.....Crap again.

So Ive pulled the CMOS battery for the moment, but any ideas???

Looks like the 0805 BIOS is borked, and I likely need a new BIOS chip to me. What do you think?

Allritey well pulling the CMOS battery appears to have helped.

But I cannot seem to flash to an earlier version of BIOS.

How ridiculous.

Any way to accomplish this?

you can back flash using afudos 2.11
Rich

I was reading about this in the Asus forums, but couldnt find any specific/detailed info on how to use it.

I need a floppy drive correct?

Just copy the UNzipped file onto a floppy, and boot from it?

Then if I understand correctly it will bring me to dos, at which point I will need to type the command to open the "new' BIOS, which will actually be a backflashed version.....correct?

And the BIOS can be either on the same floppy, or on a USB drive. Correct or incorrect?

Any documentation on details of how this is done would be appreciated :)

Looks like my bench session for the evening is screwed no matter what tough :(

i dont know how to use the flash drive but yes it can be done
disk i used a floppy drive first made a dos boot disk then put afudos on a nother disk with bios at the promp type in afudos /ipbois name.rom hope this helps
Rich

Magical :)

TYVM (both of you!) for all of your help.

I hate that dang Asus website. Always freezes up on me and is slow as molasses :p

Ive put that board aside for a few days since I got frustrated with it and hooked up everything to my Mars, installed dual boot of windows, and gonna get my drivers/benches all on there tonite so Im set to bench tomorrow :)

Ill play with that pesky P5K again next week after I get some "work" done :)

FYI, Ive been reading on other OC forums across the web, and MANY MANY people have had 0805 BIOS issues with this board. For anyone even considering flashing to 0805 DONT DO IT!!!! Stick with an earlier version such as 0704 or 0703.

Thx again!

Hmmm.....I just flashed this an hour ago hoping to see a new feature or something, nada. I've also just noticed it stepping down the multiplier though I've disabled all that in the BIOS. Go back in and it's enabled again......crap.

Last edited:
FN Asus crap. I can't get this board to flash back at all. Nothing lets you, not even using Asus Live Update and checking the option box that allows flashing of older BIOS. :bang head:bang head:bang head

Yeah, figured that out, thanks. After going back to the old BIOS my OC wouldn't stick, even though it remained in one of the profiles after flashing, and I had to lower it a bit to get it to boot. Then I was able to readjust back to my standard OC. Now it seems my network port is borked. I can't even get a response back from a ping to my router.........unfnbelievable.......time to sleep on this.

Appreciate the help, but I've done it all at this point. LAN port isn't working though I have connectivity lights on the board and router. Tried reflashing, tried 5 different BIOS, tried installing/uninstalling LAN drivers, enabling and disabling it in device manager, reimaging the hard drive, stock speed settings etc, etc. Setup my wireless USB adapter and connects right to my router. This BIOS chip is soiled it seems. Time to RMA this and go board shopping.......So, yeah, what the OP said, avoid this BIOS. Guess this is what I get for letting boredom get the best of me.

@Tuskenraider: Have you tried a different ethernet cable? I know you said you've tried everything, but it doesn't hurt to ask. :)
Sure did. I got an Abit IP35 Pro setup now and it is definately a nicer board.......at the extra cost. Booted right up(much quicker actually) to my previous overclock with a little configuration and connects to the internet just fine with the same network setup. Now the long program/setup configuration and then backup to do. Thanks guys.

Back