• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pc150 in socket 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JAP901

Registered
can put a pc150 in this m/b to achive the 140mhz of bus?

GA-5AX
ALi Aladdin V AGPset
PROCESSOR Socket 7 for Intel MMX , AMD K6 -2, K6 -3, IBM /Cyrix , IDT processors
Supports CPU multiplier 1.5/2.0....../6.0 for future processors
66/75*/83*/95/100/105*/110*/115*/120*/125*/130*/135*/140* MHz FSB
CPU voltage 1.3V~3.5V
:)

Wow. Most recent Socket 7 boards take DIMM's. No. The max you will see out of a Socket 7 board is 100 mhz...a few oddballs could bump up to around 112....but 140 is out of the question for so many reasons, least of which is the inability to set SDRAM @ speed of FSB +33 (133).

So, the answer is NO!

NOOO...don't do it. Since its an older board it probably ran the memory at 5volts because that used to be the pc66 spec on the ram instead of the current 3.3v:eek:

FrankMasterFlash said:
NOOO...don't do it. Since its an older board it probably ran the memory at 5volts because that used to be the pc66 spec on the ram instead of the current 3.3v:eek:

this mother board is 100fsb approved and yes it does take 168 pin 3.3v

In that case, go for it if you know specifically that its your memory that's holding you back. It could be that your CPU or other components can't go any higher, so don't be surprised if you don't hit 140 with PC150

JAP901 said:

this mother board is 100fsb approved and yes it does take 168 pin 3.3v

I don't have this M/B yet I bought it off ebay. I like to play with this socket 7 M/bs but any way I seen a review(I'll post it later when i have more time to look for it) using this M/B (GA-5AX ) where it was O/C to 700+mhz but was with water cooling. but I have A fic 2013 2.0 with a k6-III 450 none +that has a 133fsb chip in it, the M/b has in jumpers to set the fsb as high as 124fsb but all i could get was 112fsb and i had to drop my cpu clock to 4.0 in which set me at 448mhz. but i read on this form that A good quilty memory chip you will get more of of it I am runing a Generic pc133 so i just thought that a good quilty would let me go higher. but also i thank my video chip is cousing alot of the problem on the fic M/B it is 64mbs and fic don't recamend not more than 16mbs of video on this M/B i can get the fic M/B up to 406 with 112fsb but it comes to the windows splash screen and will not loud win but the splash screen is all garbuled up. does that sound like the video card is the problem? sorry i don't spell to well

Your best bet for performance for this board is a k6-2+ or k6-3+ CPU. The k6-3+ is prohibitively expensive, but k6-2+ 450's are available for around $35.00 at Tiger Direct right now. These CPU's are supposed to be able to run to a little over 600 mhz. They use .18 micron architecture, and Athlon 3d Now instructions. Tom's hardware has several articles about them. You'll probably need to run a special BIOS for it. Jan Steunebrink has a site that has BIOS for all boards capable of running these CPU's.

Back