• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to unfreeze my computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ALiEN2953

yeah as my title says my computer froze. As in the water in it froze. im thinking just put it next to the house radiator.

so now that i've learned my lesson what is the best antifreeze? preferably extra sweet and tangy

Left it in the car after a LAN didn't ya? If you blocks froze you may have messed up the orings or buldged the tops. I would inspect everything before firing it up. I would let the loop run w/o the system for a while and make sure there are no leaks. Also as it thaws it will create condensation which give me even more reasons to tear the system down and let is all dry out and rebuild the loop.

No one will tell you how to thaw it out, till you cough up the explanation of how it happened in the first place :p

haha well its really not anywhere near as exciting as you think. my computer is on the sun porch and needless to say in the winter the porch isnt too hot.

and yeah i just inspected the radiator sprung a leak which i can probably fix right near the barb. so what do you guys think the chances of different part survival is?

haha well its really not anywhere near as exciting as you think. my computer is on the sun porch and needless to say in the winter the porch isnt too hot.

and yeah i just inspected the radiator sprung a leak which i can probably fix right near the barb. so what do you guys think the chances of different part survival is?

The seals are about the only thing I'd worry about, unless it was turned on, in which case the pump might be shot.

I dont understand if its that cold outside just open the window and run it on air!

How to unfreze errrmz apply heat?

water expands when its frozen some stuff might be damaged so check everything...

ha i was less concerned with how to unfreeze more worried about what could have broken

Ouch yea if you are gonan be close to 0deg make sure you keep anti freeze in it .
Take the whole loop out and leask test it for a few days find every leak.

Sorry to hear this....you have likely ruined your components. I would't trust them without a good, long, extended leak test. You may have to redo your entire loop:cry:

I'd take it inside, lay it on a towel, wait for it to thaw, and then leak test with a separate PSU just running the pump. If it doesn't leak after a day or two, you lucked out.

In a best case scenario it just stretched the tubing slightly and expanded up the t-line/reservoir.

Frozen solid, I don't see how the rad or block would survive. Water gets nasty when it has no place to expand into and it can easily crack metal.
The plastic hoses should be fine

Back