• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to overclocking, any help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

El King

Registered
Hey everyone, i jus got a new PC and i'd like to overclock it to get the maximum out of it
i'd like to over clock the processor as a first thing as i found it pretty hard unlike the VGA card
anyway here is my specs:
Gigabyte P35-DS3R
Intel E6750 2.66 4MB
4GB DDR2 Kingstone 800Mhz
Gigabyte 8600 GT
Ace Power 420w PSU

Here is the cpu-z screenshot:
procqo8.gif

On other question also, when i was OC'ing my VGA using ATI Tool, i found that wen i was increasing the 3d performance sliders, the 2d sliders also were raised, is this normal ?! as i heared reducing 2d wud help in gettin better results as it isnt really needed

Thanks

For the sliders, I would say yes. When you do that I expect you'r overclocking the whole graphics card rather than just the preformance for 3D or 2D. So, yes, it is normal as far as I know.

As for overclocking, here is an amazingly useful link: Overclocking Guide

right now am running @3.2 @1.312V and PCI speed is set at 100mhz
am running prime and core temp and gettin average temp of 56
i will run it for 8 hrs and see maybe i cud raise the FSB more, the question now is the ram should i change it to 3-3-3-xx ? or leave it as it is
its already set to 4-4-4-.. i cant remember the last number

am using the intel stock fan, should i change it ?! and prime95 is only takin 53% CPU usage running smal tft's, should i run some games or other applications to increase the usage ?!

Thanks

You guys have very good numbers. I tried 1.3750V for just 355x8 (2.8Ghz), stock fan. load is 60C and 49C idle. Torrent P2P acted funny...and before that (360x8 @ AUTO), funny things were happening to my onboard peripherals.

You're @ 6x333 'cuz your speed step is on. Turn of C1E, EIST *for now* (re enable later).
1) PCIE - set to 100Mhz
2) Start with some manual voltage recommended by others here on the same chip (this is where i'm having problems)
3) make sure your ram is running as per specs. Mine was detected by ds3r as 5-5-5-15 @ 1.8V but I set it to 4-4-4-15 AND set the voltage to +0.2V for memory so that the total is 2.0V.

I think you might want to set your fan from AUTO to FULL. What do you think guys? That should keep temps down, albeit it will be noisy, at least for testing/finding the max.

thats wat i did, i've set the PCIE to 100 and am on 3.2 using stock cooler and i get 65 temp during full load so i guess dats good, i will have to change the stock before i proceed

regarding the fan where can i change this ?!
Thanks

Did you run any stability tests?

I had my lan go funny (not work) at just running AUTO and 370x8. Someone said to add +0.1 to the northbridge, etc. So consider that if you run into any weird things happening.

fan speed? It's in another of the sub-menu items. there's AUTO, INTEL, FULL. Choose full. Warning - it will be noisy :)

65C is quite high - Intel says thermal specs are 72C so you're not far off..you might need to get a new cooler soon...

It's much easier to setup a good overclock if you loosen the ram timings. If you set your ram to 5-5-5-15 to start with, it'll make the CPU much easier to OC (You know your ram won't be holding you back). Once you get a good overclock you can make the timings faster.

well about the cooler, yea am gettin one soon. and yea i did run prim95 for some hours it gave no errors and temp was 65

and i will do that ram timing thing wen i get the cooler and be ready to overclock more

For me on stock voltage and w/memory 1.8V 5-5-5-15, i could not overclock to 375x8.
For AUTO 375x8 it was okay.
For 1.35V, 350x8 i got BSOD after 12 hours. temps are 42Cidle/60C load.
Guess i'll have to start just barely over the baseline to get this OC thing working.

i guess ur mobo is also a p35 ds3r, so i was asking in the voltage screen wen i set it to manual there is more than one voltage, which one is the vcore ?!

now at 3.4 (425 x 8)
temp under load 65
is this ok under the stock cooler or shud i lower it a bit till i get the g-power cooler ?!

I've been told that you should try to keep it under 65C if that's the OC you want full time. The new GO stepping intel chips can go into the high 70s / low 80s without ruining themselves (you'll either just get a windows error, or you'll hear beeping, or you're comp will just retart).

I would wait until you get your new heatsink and some Arctic Silver 5 before you OC more. 65C is getting a bit toasty.

i guess am getting that cooler 2day
as for the cooler am from Egypt and unforuntaly i coudnt find any zalman or thermalight or any popular brands here. best thing i found was a g-power cooler from gigabyte, is it any good ?!

okay i have a questions
i got a cooler lets say its the best i cud find :S but its of no good jus a lil better than the stock cooler, anyway i can get 3.7 at 1.45vcore or something but wen the cpu is stressed the temp jumps to 70-71 which is too hot i knw, but the question is, during games and those stuff i will load the cpu with 100% so it will probably never reach those temps right ?! so is it safe to use those speeds wid those temps ?!

Back