• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Issue with Asus P5AD2-E Premium and PATA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
When I plug in any PATA device, hard drives, cd/dvd drives, I no longer get video. If I unplug them then I get video.

I'm using a P4 3.6GHz (560?). 1 gig of Corsair DDR2 675Mhz mem. A ATI x700 gfx, and a Antec Smart 400 watt PSU. I can boot into the bios fine with no PATA devices attached. Sadly though I have a PATA hdd to be used, pulled from previous computer that died to PSU failure. I was planning on just doing a repair install with Windows. I've tried all the different jumpers settings on the devices. Master/slave combo's. Single drives, and also Cable Select. I forgot about all that at first, been using SATA too long :p.

Any help would be appreciated.

Well Its either the PCI-E slot/NB or the Graphics card was bad. Put in an Old Geforce 2 MX400 PCI card and it works fine now.

How about power consumption? Maybe your PSU is to the limits? :)
Try starting up your PC with the 4pin molex attached to the PATA device, but without the IDE/PATA datacable. And ofcourse your ATI gfx-card inserted.

Back