• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Simple : A yes or no question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ajaygargnsit

Registered
I have visited the Gigabyte site, but it does not contain anything about overclocking about the mobo I intend to buy. So my question to all the people using this mobo is ::

"Does GA-945GC-MX-S2 (rev 6.6) support overclocking" ?

Looking forward to replies.

Ajay Garg

It should say in the manual if you can change the FSB. If you dont have a copy it should be on the gigabyte site.

Generally Intel chipsets which are on mATX boards with onboard graphics don't have overclocking options in BIOS. Also as lokie mentioned, the 945 is a poor overclocker as well.

IMO, no it won't overclock.

Generally Intel chipsets which are on mATX boards with onboard graphics don't have overclocking options in BIOS. Also as lokie mentioned, the 945 is a poor overclocker as well.

IMO, no it won't overclock.

Huh? I think maybe you meant to say 'Intel-made motherboards' rather than Intel chipsets.. My mATX board clocks great, as do many others..

Huh? I think maybe you meant to say 'Intel-made motherboards' rather than Intel chipsets.. My mATX board clocks great, as do many others..

No, I meant chipsets. There weren't any s478 mATX mobos that could overclock (other than a few 865P Shuttles) and all the LGA775 mATX w/ onboard manuals I've read exclude overclocking options. If they have oc'able ones now, that's a fairly new offering.

The new G33 chipset boards such as you have are decent overclockers, but previous intel-chipset mATX boards are very lame overclockers.

I have a G965 mATX board and it is a dog when it comes to overclocking. It doesn't even support the pad mods (although that's probably a specific issue with my Gigabyte board). I would expect a 945 mATX to be a crappy overclocker as well.

OP if you really want a decent overclocker get a full sized ATX board that doesn't have onboard video.

Yes it should OC, I had a 945-based Asus mATX mobo that did (believe it was a P5LD2-VM) it didn't do too bad, got up to around 280fsb which put the 930 I was playing with over 4ghz. Although I would expect higher from newer ones this was a year or two ago.

No, I meant chipsets. There weren't any s478 mATX mobos that could overclock (other than a few 865P Shuttles) and all the LGA775 mATX w/ onboard manuals I've read exclude overclocking options. If they have oc'able ones now, that's a fairly new offering.

I downloaded the manual for the mb that the OP was asking about, before i answered this thread and it shows some usual OC options.

EDIT: Here's a screen from the manual.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Just because it has the options in the bios to overclock doesnt mean it will overclock worth a fart in a wind tunnel. When a motherboard has onboard video that just tells me that it is a economy board so dont expext to much out of it as far as overclocking goes. That is from my experience anyway.:eek:

Just because it has the options in the bios to overclock doesnt mean it will overclock worth a fart in a wind tunnel. When a motherboard has onboard video that just tells me that it is a economy board so dont expext to much out of it as far as overclocking goes. That is from my experience anyway.:eek:

The question was "does it support OC" though :)

Possibly true with older boards, as some folks have pointed out, but the G31/G33/G35 chipsets are pretty cool. Look at all the best/priciest mATX boards. They all got onboard video, but are by no means economy boards, just missing a few PCI slots..

Yeah but he isnt talking about those chipsets he has a 945 chipset which is really old compared to the newer chipsets that you are talking about.

Get yourself a gigabyte ds3 and you can do some nice overclocking with that board. Ds3 boards overclock real good i had one that is in my girlfriends puter now and i was getting 472 fsb out of it no problem. It now has a 840 in it and its running at 4.0 ghz 24/7 and :)is fast as hell.

Back