• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need drivers for someone's board, google yields nothing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anjow

A friend has just reinstalled Windows and realised they no longer have the motherboard driver disc for their machine.

I downloaded and ran Sandra which says the board is:

TriGem Computer NETHERLANDS
Advent Series

Intel 865/848 Springdale
P4 2.6GHz

We're primarily after LAN drivers so generic ones would suffice I think, just I know nothing about that sort of thing.

Does anyone know where we can get drivers for this board? Thanks.

I downloaded the drivers for the ethernet and sound from that page. The sound works perfectly, but the ethernet drivers seem to do nothing. In device manager there is a yellow ! over "Ethernet Controller", but that says its in PCI slot 1 - this machine has onboard ethernet and no PCI cards except for a modem.

Have you tried Windows Update? It may be able to offer a driver.
Run Win Update, Click Custom, then Hardware Updates.

Intel 865/848 Springdale
Why is Sandra reporting an Intel chipset, but your Advent model comes back as a Sis chipset? Odd. :confused:

Do you mean connecting to the intertubes and running Windows update? If so, the very thing that I need is the one that will allow it to connect to the intertubes. As it stands there is no NIC working.

So will I need to go the generic drivers route for the NIC? According to the site posted before the controller is a...

Realtek RTL8100B 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet Controller

Could one get a generic driver for that? I don't know a thing about generic drivers, just that the concept of them might exist.

PCI #1 is probably just hardwired into the NIC - not a real physical slot.

Device Manager -> Alt-Click on your yellow exclamation-ed Ethernet adapter -> "Properties" -> "Details" tab...

It'll say something like: "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_108B&SUBSYS_81971043&REV_03\4&8D68EE5&0&00E4"

You're interested in the VEN_XXXX and DEV_XXXX fields.

In the case above the VEN(dor) is 8086, and the DEV(ice) is 108B

Google tells me that vendor 8086 is intel, and intel's device 108B is a Pro/1000 PM NIC.

You should be able to look it up from those - let me know if you get stuck.

I was just over there - for some reason I forgot to do your suggestion JCLW (yeah, I'm stupid) but I did try using a Sabayon liveCD and both the onboard NIC and the PCI NIC he bought and have had problems with (see networking forum) show up and work perfectly. This is not really a solution though as he's not comfortable to stay with Linux.

Back