• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

aus p5k(2) deluxe sound connections......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lee

i know some of you might think this is for the sound forum, but i think it is a mobo issue......hooking up my dvd burner/player, there is a normal 4-pin jumper for regular sound in, but i can't find the 2-pin jumper for digital sound in - have looked in the manual and looked at the mobo and don't seem to see the extra hookup(have no sound from the dvd player)........have i missed the boat (wouldn't be the first time, hehe) or maybe just have a bad cable?......appreciate any help, thanx......

no, don't have a pic but its a small gray 2-pin cable & yes, its an older ide dvd burner.....a plextor 740a burner........but the real question is "does the mobo have such a hookup"?..

I don't think it has, but i could be wrong.

However.
The sound should be coming via your soundcard as the IDE-cable transfers all the data and takes care of the sound and such.
If you're not using your DVD as an external device that is.

EDIT: Yes i know you'er using the onboard sound, but it however doesn't matter if it's onboard or not.

Last edited:
using the onboard sound, not a sound card......have always used separate sound card til now but decided i would give the onboard a chance.......the drive is an internal drive and thought running just the 4-pin cable would be enough but am not getting any sound - i know its not the drive, which was working fine in another computer til i built this one......and the mobo sound seems fine when playing files on the hard drive so its got to be a connection problem.....

wait a minute........

it seems many years ago i had a similar problem with a new computer that i built......it seemed there was something in the bios dealing with peripherals i had to change - my computer is reading my dvd drive as a scsi device and it obviously isn't one.......however, when i look for "peripherals" in the bios, i don't see anything that will allow me to change how it reads my dvd drive.......don't know if this is the case but am trying all manner of fixes.......

ok, i have sound from CDs / i have picture but no sound DVDs........has to be a setting somewhere that controls it - have tried going through windows help but i can't find the "multimedia" setting they say exists......i can't find any "peripherals" setting in the bios to control ultraDMA............have been through windows settings for sound/volume and through SoundHD in asus software and can't find any mute that is on.......not sure now if maybe this is a thread for the sound section.......my dvd drive appears as a scsi.........

ok, i have sound from CDs / i have picture but no sound DVDs........has to be a setting somewhere that controls it - have tried going through windows help but i can't find the "multimedia" setting they say exists......i can't find any "peripherals" setting in the bios to control ultraDMA............have been through windows settings for sound/volume and through SoundHD in asus software and can't find any mute that is on.......not sure now if maybe this is a thread for the sound section.......my dvd drive appears as a scsi.........

You need a codec installed. Try AC3 Codec. (Free)

You do not need any seperate cable, only the IDE.

i have the ide cable attached and the 4-pin cable attached but can't get sound out of dvd movies..........hopefully, someone will recognize what the situation is - its got to be more common than i think.......

As already said

Only use the IDE cable and install AC3 codec for DVD audio. The "audio cables" from the Optical drives are for bypassing audio devices built into PC.. I think you gotta set passthrough to use that stuff....not 100% sure though

just remove the small cable and use the pure digital signal that you get from the IDE cable

hehe, hate to admit when other people are right - but that worked.....Thanx.......have always needed the 4-pin cable til now but maybe that was because i was using sound card instead of onboard sound......(now to finish 7.1 surround sound on the htpc).......later

Back