• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some easy questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aja

I am still learning...

1: For a given SS to handle a higher load, you have to either shorten the cap tube to make it less restrictive and thus deliver more refrigerant to the evap, or add more refrigerant to the system, or both - correct? (assuming that the compressor is up to the task)

2: If the system is tuned for a load much higher than that currently being experienced, the cap tube needs to be lengthened to prevent floodback - correct? OR is a "loop-the-loop" in the suction line enough to prevent floodback in most cases?

3: What is your method to lengthen a cap tube? As in physically, how do you braze it to make it longer? Do you replace the whole cap tube?

4: With the prevention of premature boiling in mind, is it better to have the cap tube run around the suction line, as with most SS'ers, or run the cap tube within the suction line?

I realize that google is my friend, but I would like some opinions :D

1. Yes sorta, or increase the subcooling.
2. Not necesarily. And a loop in the suction isn't always enough at all, sometimes even a accumulator isn't enough. Skilled tuning is required, in gas and physical build.
3. Remove captube from the filter, then cut off last inch to avoid that metaly covered bit, use a sleeve tube, like 1/8"OD of 3/16", and just install a new section of captube.
4. Around the suction or inside is fine, though you'll find inside can result in some problems, and might create more noise or vibration.

Not really and more of a pain in the butt then helpful. All that did was create a bigger evap, nothing special to it.
And yes wrap the captube, or SLHX (wrapping captube is an SLHX of sorts, but a full HX will result in much much different tuning)

Back