• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IP35-E Power connector queries

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aoch88

The IP35-E has an 8-pin (2 x 4 pin) power connector plus another normal 4-pin molex power.

My question is, do we have to plug all of them to get it working? Why on earth does it need so much of power? My PSU does not have a 12V EPS so I'll have to mod an additional 4-pin out from the 6-pin.

No you don't need to plug them all in.
If you're not using 2*GPU's or a powerfull CPU.

It will be enough just plugging the 1x4 pin in.

The 4-pin molex, only need to use that one if you've plugged in several GPU's to your MB. As it gives your PCI Express x16 slots extra power.

The 2x4pins will give your CPU extra juice if you're running one that uses alot of power. Or if you OC a CPU to it's limits, it'll probably help you have the system more stable.

And about modifying your cables, just make sure you do it right and on a cable you won't be using later on.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help sk1llz :)
Ok, I guess I'll just have 2 x 4-pin as I have a cheap 2600 graphics card - I don't game a lot.

Btw, does that mean Vdroop would be lower than the other boards since it has 2 x 4-pin?

Thanks for the help sk1llz :)
Ok, I guess I'll just have 2 x 4-pin as I have a cheap 2600 graphics card - I don't game a lot.

Btw, does that mean Vdroop would be lower than the other boards since it has 2 x 4-pin?

Asus, abit and gigabyte, they usualy have 2x4pins on their mobos nowadays (probably other brands with the p35,x38,x48 chipset too).
The vdroop has mostly to do with wich capacitators used on the motherboard.
So i don't think it'll help vdroop, but i could be wrong about that.

Last edited:
I'm using a P35 Gigabyte and they only have 1 x 4-pin
I wonder what on earth does the extra 12V give to the motherboard. It seems that they come out with all sorts of new connectors for the past 2 years.

I got 2x4pins on my p35-ds4 gigabyte. But i see now that i missed to put in a word in my sentance, hehe.

EDIT: When running a CPU with higher consumption than 130W (intel extrem edition CPU), use the 2x4pins.
That's what it says in my mb-manual :) And the 4pin molex is as i stated in my first post in this thread.

Last edited:
Thanks. I hope the connector would fit - 2 x 4-pin = 1 x EPS12V 8-pin

If you used two exactly alike 4pins, they will not work.
If it's not an 8pin connector that you could split that is.

Just so you know!

Ok, that's bad. How does it look like actually? I thought it's 2 x 4-pin because some PSU comes with it rather than a single 8-pin.

I made a pic in paint :)

The red-marked is where the standard 4pin goes to.

About the 2x4pins that usualy comes with PSU's, isn't that just an 8pin that is splitable, that could be used if your mb just have a 4pin and not an 8pin? So only one will fit that is.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 153
Thanks pal, appreciate it :)
I'll go over to the local stores and see if there are such connectors for sale.
Sigh, why do they have to mess up with power connectors like that!

Most of the newer PSU's come w/ both 8-pin and 4-pin 12v power connctors, while the newer boards come w/ only an 8-pin connector. Since your PSU comes w/ only the 4-pin connector, it needs to be connected to the 8-pin board connector via the 4 pins in the area that sk1llz highlighted in post #10. There's no need to try and find a 4-pin to 8-pin adapter, if that was your intention.

... and BTW sk1llz, those links in your sig are against forum policy:

Signatures: Content, Size and readability
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=58341

Last edited:
Back