• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Built new rig: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3IS3 = Poor gaming performance.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tzke

Registered
I really didnt know where to start, mobo, cpu etc. since everything I got is new except the cpu.

I just bought a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3IS3, G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit, to go with the E6300 I had. I updated the bios to the F10 bios, maybe that was actually a downgrade, but my buddy owns the same exact mobo and he said that was the one to go with.

I plopped in a few games, took it for a spin, all was fine. Decided to do a little oc'ing. Followed this guide - E6300 Guide Now, ever since doing some oc'ing, games run like crap. COD 4 for example, some area's it shows 200-300 fps runs smooth as can be, but once it hits that 75 fps area, it feels like 1 fps. Like I'm walking on the moon, or real jerky stuttery. So I decided to load everything in the bios back to defaults, now the problem remains even at defaults.

I've updated video drivers. Windows XP updates, all that, excpet mobo chipset, going to do that once I post this. So I'm wondering, if this problem sounds familiar to anyone? Any recommended voltage, mem, core settings? Driver issues? Borked parts?

Download CPU-Z and run it. Under the mainboard tab check what speed your PCI-E speed is. The DS3 series has a bug where it can reduce the bus speed to x1 when it should be x16, bottlenecking your card and ruining performance.

If that's the case, set the PCI-E frequency from Auto to 105-115. Let me know what happens.

Edit: What speed are you trying to run your E6300 at? Due to the low multiplier, it means you have to have a high FSB speed to get over 3Ghz, and the cooling on the Northbridge (covered by the gold heatsink, touch it while you've got a game running and you'll see, careful it gets pretty hot) isn't adequate, try putting some AS5 on or some active/better cooling on it.

I've got an MSI 8600 GT OC.

I had one game set to 125 FPS caplock, default was 85. When I set that back, it helped somewhat with the jerkyness. Funny thing is, in my crappy oem system, it ran flawlessly stock at highest res (1280x1024) with that card and CPU and the fps cap set to 125. And now even at the lowest res with the built system theres that real weird jerking slow mo thing going on.

I havent messed with the PCI-E frequency. It's at auto. Whenever I set that to 100, it wont post. In cpu-z it says 16x.

I followed that guide and kept the timings loose. 5-5-5-15. FSB 430 with a 2x mem multiplyer. CPU overvoltage control 0.2v. Dimm voltage control 0.4v. CPU Voltage 1.45. CPU is running at 3.15 with those settings. cpu-z is reporting 2.6ghz at 6x, is that a bug? Or is it throttling down when idle?

The heatsink on the northbridge does get pretty hot. Going to modify that when I get the chance.

So do the settings I'm using look about right? Over/Under doing it?

Sounds as if you have power saving options on, where the CPU auto downclocks to conserve energy, there are about 4 options I think. Look through the motherboard manual and it will tell you what they are. There are some in the PC Health Status part of the BIOS and one in the overclocking section as far as I can remember.

Reduce the CPU voltage to 1.3 maximum, about 1.275 is ample. Take off CPU overvoltage as well. Do not give the FSB any more voltage, it's not needed and only contributes to higher temps and therefore instability.

PCI-E bus seems fine, try setting it to about 110, may or may not make a difference.

Ok well I lowered the FSB to 425 as a test. Now the slow mo stuff is worse. Ran cpu-z again and it did indeed show PCI-E at 1x. Strange thing is, even with everything set to default in bios, anytime I try and set the PCI-E to 100 or above, it wont post. Going to follow your suggestions. So is the smart fan a power thing? I turned that off once and man, it made it sound like a jet in there. Going to leave that on for now..

Edit: There is a graphics option in there. Auto - Fast - Turbo. Will this have any impact?

Only use Auto, you don't want to touch the other settings. Smart fan adjusts the speed on your CPU fan, really you want it on full speed so you have to set it to run via voltage and then set it to legacy or disabled. You can monitor the RPM speed of the fan in the same section of the BIOS, fiddle around with it but do not switch it off lol.

I can take a look at my BIOS tomorrow as I can't reboot at the moment. You could try upping the PCI-E voltage by 0.1, that may help. It's odd that you are having issues with setting the frequency though.

I had stability problems with the F10 BIOS, you may want to try the latest F12s or the F7 BIOS, those are the two which I found to be the most stable. It is probably something as simple as that.

Alrighty well I got the f11 bios. That let me set the PCI-E to 105, and the VGA card is running at 16x, but now getting back to the 3ghz CPU barrier seems to be done. 2.88 seems to be the max...

Curios, what rev is this board? Anyone know?

The revision number is on the board itself, on the corner nearest to the lowest PCI slot. :)

What settings have you got the memory and CPU at? Have you disabled the power saving options (which will switch back on after a BIOS change)?

I couldnt find any power saving features. I looked through PC-Health and everything is basically disabled except smart fan. Even with CTRL+F1 it offered nothing more as far as power saving stuff went. In cpuz it still flickers between 6x and 7x, bouncing from 2.4 to 2.8.

I had to raise the CPU back to 1.45, it just wouldnt post at anything lower then that.

I couldnt find any power saving features. I looked through PC-Health and everything is basically disabled except smart fan. Even with CTRL+F1 it offered nothing more as far as power saving stuff went. In cpuz it still flickers between 6x and 7x, bouncing from 2.4 to 2.8.

I had to raise the CPU back to 1.45, it just wouldnt post at anything lower then that.

You haven't turned off all the power saving options. One should also be in your overclocking section. Look at your manual :p

CPU EIST Function. Now cpuz is reporting normal. Still cant hit 3ghz tho. Heh. But hey, I made 2.9. ;)

Hmm this is interesting, I cant seem to get it to post if I set the mem timings to 5-5-5-15. I have to set it to auto, which then sets them to 5-6-6-17.

Does it matter what slots I put the ram in? Read the manual and it said if your running dual channel to put them in the same colored slots, which I've done, the stuff I have is dual channel, yet oc'ing becomes a pain then.

Odd. Try the other two slots and see if that helps. You shouldn't have to have the memory that loose. Try 4-4-4-14 and see if that boots.

Ok moved mem to 2nd and 4th slots. Reads dual channel now. Booted into XP, I didnt enter bios, just let it boot. And here I am. Hmm to set my timings and bump the fsb or not... well of course I'm going to.

Im thinking about messing with the f07 or 09 bios. In that one thread a chap was getting good results with the f07. But I wonder if that would bork my pcie again. haha, yea I'm a tad nervous!

Odd. Try the other two slots and see if that helps. You shouldn't have to have the memory that loose. Try 4-4-4-14 and see if that boots.

4-4-4-14 posts. But, if I bump it up 1 to 416, no go. But hey, making progress!:)

Nice! :)

Try the F7 BIOS, those were the ones that let me get higher clocks. I'm currently on F10 BIOS, but it's the NB cooling letting me down currently.

Went to the f10. Back to 5-5-5-15. 425. Sitting at 2.97 now. If I bump it to 426, it restarts, but screen is black, usually it will shutdown, then restart, then post, or shutdown again if it doesnt want to post. Again thx for all the info.

Back