• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte P35-DS3R fsb wall?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neonlazer

Lately i have been attempting to get to 4ghz and push this board to its limits, which i might have run into early than i wanted to. This is the highest i could overclock(9x425) and still be able to load into XP completely, though of course it crashes when i do any kind of stress test.
cpuz38.jpg

My question is i lower the multi to x6 and tried 6x465 and the xp loading screen started to appear then it freezes, i checked memory settings, etc and with lowering multi i thought that would show that its most likely a fsb wall...(this was with max volts(+.3v) for FSB and MCH(cant do more unless theres a software program to change it), and +.4v for memory..and 1.6vcore

The P35 chipset should be able to do over 500 easily, i think you hit your CPU's FSB-wall.

There isn't always necessary to max all voltages to gain max freq. Sometimes you have to be at a good balance of each to gain higher speeds.

Have you tried 501x6 for example? If your memory can do that much that is. And sometimes it could also be these "dark holes" when you can't boot at sertain FSB's. So try the above example.

Hm, well that was the last thing i that i would have thought was the problem. Unless i got a bad chip..Though i am not convinced that is the problem. There have been topics on other forums about this motherboard having a wall about 450fsb..my problem would confirm that there might very well be a wall there, plus i have yet to see someone hit 4ghz on a DS3R..though i havent looked everywhere.

I did 6x465 and it did same thing as 9x435 both froze while loading xp...Ah ok i will try that i see what you mean

Last edited:
I can't get much over that fsb hump myself, but my chip is pretty bad.

Though it could be the board's vdroop.

I wish I knew, I want to get over 3 ghz myself.

I have 438FSB on my DS3L so perhaps it's the chip? Btw, lower multi doesn't work on all FSB's.

ok, a kicking this, but I have the same problem. only to make it weirder, it ran 500 fsb before just fine, and now it suddenly wont.. and I cant figure out what to set or do to get past 425 again.. it *did* do 500+ about a year ago.. (still at the same config)

as far as I know, yeah, case is pretty well ventilated, cpu and nb never passed 60*C and 45*C and now on watercooling even less.. mem is pretty cool running, it doesnt get hot at all on the default settings 800 mhz, neither does it on the "stock" speed of 1000 mhz @ 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1v (which is why I want 500 fsb, or something near, especially with my cpu on watercooling as well)

I understand it could be gtl ref. settings, which my board simply doesn't have :(

Contrary to popular belief, there aren't that many P35 boards out there that can do a 500(+) FSB. Each series had its exceptions - sort of like when you get a great CPU.
Most P35 motherboards are good for 450-475 tops.

Back