• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions and questions for stuff.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spbeyond

Registered
Hey. So I wanna ask what is a good add on radiator for my Kandalf case. Also this may sound dumb, but can you have more than one pump on a liquid cooling system? I mean you could have more than one circuit, but can you have two pumps on one circuit? What components is it worth liquid cooling? CPU obviously, but what about Ram, Hard Drive? Ect? Is it worth upgrading from my stock themaltake water block to a danger den one? I just finished lapping it and now im concidering upgrading it, DOH! Also are there any good flow indicators? Call me paranoid. Also what Wattage power supply can I use on a water cooling system with a q6600, One 8800GT and 2 HD's? Thanks :) P.S. Thank you all for your helping me with being a NOOB!

Last edited:
The PA120.X series is best, but they are quite expensive. You should probably buy something from Swiftech's Quiet Power series.

You can have multiple pumps in one circuit, but if they are different make/model it can occasionally cause problems. When using dual pumps, you can either use a series or parallel - series increases head, parallel increases flow (I may have that backward).

You will see a slight (maybe 5c) decrease in temps switching from a thermaltake block to a DangerDen or Swiftech one

Really, the only components worth water cooling are the GPU, CPU, and if your overlcock is bottlenecked by your FSB, then your NB. Keep in mind that watercooling a GPU requires either the purchase of a full cover block (~100$) or buying additional "RAMsinks" to cool the memory and PWMs on the board.

Flow indicators are basically worthless - they reduce flow but don't really accomplish anything. Stay away from them.

A quality 500w power supply should be more than enough for that setup.

And :welcome:

Thanks for the welcome. Does anyone have a diagram or picture of how to setup a two pump system. Here is my plan. >pump>radiator>cpu>NB?>radiator>GPU>RES With a second pump in there for redundancy/increased proformance. What do you think? Also what thermal paste do you use? I would want the very best stuff, no sence cheaping out on that detail. Thanks :)

Well, with that small of a loop, you really don't have a need for a second pump, assuming you have a good pump, like a MCP655 (D5) or MCP355 (DDC-1). Rather than buy a second pump identical to what you already have (I'm assuming it's the thermaltake one), I would instead purchase a MCP655 (D5). Much better pump, rock solid reliability. Second, you will see a more dramatic performanc eincrease from a better radiator than a new water block. So if money is a little tight, I would get a new radiator first.

Swiftech makes a really nice radiator thats pretty cheap. I would go for something thats 120.2 in size (that means it fits 2 120mm fans) or larger. A 120.2 sized radiator will mount in the botom front drive bays of your case very easily.

As for a water block for your CPU, the DTEK fuzion is thought of as the "best" for a quad core processor, although you couldn't really go wrong with either a DTEK, Swiftech, or Danger Den block.

Is there going to be an issue with leaving the original radiator and just adding another? Because the orignial radiator is in the door and its pretty much built into the case really nice. So would it work just adding another rad to the loop or do I need to remove the stock one entirely. Also when I add the pump your suggesting (I found this one) http://www.svc.com/mcp655.html It has 1/2 barbs. Can I heat and strech the tubing over that? Mines 3/8in. I heard if you put the tubbing in hot water it will fit, but is that safe?
Also does anyone know wether or not I will need a new resivour? The stock pump and res are attached to each other, Looks like I might be able to seperate them but Im not sure. Thanks :soda:

Last edited:
Oh you have the Kandalf LCS? That radiator is pretty much crap. The thermaltake water cooling products have gotten better over the past few years, as far as their blocks go, but their radiators are just total crap. WAY too restrictive.

So in other words, remove the stock radiator. You will get better performance from a good radiator.

If you want to go the "easy" route, and not spend too much money, the Swiftech COmpact H2O 220 is a great kit.

It takes the Swiftech apoggee water block and mates it with an MCP355 pump into a self contained unit. It comes with a 120.2 radiaotr with built in resevoir, fans included, tubing, and coolant addatives. You can pick one up for around $180

Argh... Hmm... Well basicly I need to replace the whole LCS system eh. That sucks. Well I dont need Extreme proformance. I will be doing some overclocking but nothing extreme. Will I be able to mount that other rad to the door nice? It just sucks because I think its a pretty slick looking system as it is and I dont wanna tear it all down before I even get it running. (I dont just want a huge empty door on the front :bang head) So I dont know what im gunna do. Maybe I will just get a really powerful pump and add a radiator to the loop and run with it. Just let the stock rad slow me down some. I dont know. Kinda ticks me off that its all crap because every review I read loved the system. But eh what do you do you know?

On the whole it's not a horrible system. The main thing is the radiator isn't good. And there are much better components/kits out there.

If you want some ideas, check out the link in my Sig, I have a ThermalTake Armor case which is the exact same chasis as the Kandalf. You can mount a radiaotr in your like I mounted one in mine.

Yeah I just dont know what to do with the big front door the radiator is mounted to now. It will look weird without a radiator attached to it.

Im now thinking about leaving the front raditor loop. Just have it go the the GPU and NB and maybe even Ram. Then maybe make a whole new loop for the Processor. I dont know. Money is ultra tight at the moment. I am currently buying the computer one peice at a time. Currently all I got is the case and a motherboard. :)

Don't bother cooling the Ram. There are really only two things you need to cool. CPU, and GPU. Northbridge is completely optional and is only recomended if you push LOTS of volts.

Okay after a day of thinking and rational here is my plan for approval. Leave the water cooling system as it is for the moment. Do a minor overclock. Wait for the $ to recover from building the system. In the mean time research out a quality radiator that I can fit in the front door of this case. I got to say the case itself is rad in my opinion. Oh and also while installing that radiator get a quality block for the CPU and GPU. And probably a new pump. Suggestions on this plan? What is the number one priority? Im guessing the radiator. LoL Anyway thanks for your help.

If you want a pretty easy, clean setup, here's some suggestions:

CPU: Apogee Drive (Apogee Gt block and MCP355 pump in one)
GPU: Swiftech MCW30 or Danger Den Maze 5 + ram sinks
Radiator: Swiftech 220QP with built in Resevoir.
Fans: 2x120mm fans of your choice (Yate loons are good, and cheap)
Tubing: Clearflex 60
Fluid: Mix 90-95% distilled water, with roughly 5% antifreeze (or similar type addative such as water wteer, zerex), and optionally a biocide and or some UV dye.

This would be a very simple, easy to maintain cooling loop that would allow you to do som epretty hefty over clocks, and or run a silent machine, and it will give you some nice temps.

If yo udon't liek the idea of an all i none CPU block + pump or just want more performance, then you could try the DTEK Fuzion CPU block plus an MCP655 (D5) pump.

I found out that this RAD will fit into the kandalf door with a little work!!!!
http://www.svc.com/mcr320-qp-k.html
Does anyone know anything about this rad? It might be my only option to upgrade. I might do this and a second rad out back. Anyway what fittings do I need to come off this to go to 3/8 tubbing? Preferably compression, and I think they need to be 90 Angled because they need to immeditaly go down. Thanks

Back