• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Soundcard problems with overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Telemudcat

First, my system basics:
MB: Asus P5N32-E SLI
bios: 1203
Q6600 g0

I'm having problems with audio after I overclock my FSB on the board listed above. The audio snaps and pops while listening to mp3's in Windows; and in games like Crysis the sound will drop completely out, and then sometimes fade back in after a minute. The audio problems get worse as I overclock higher; seems anything over 1350 FSB starts the problems. The snaps & pops are somewhat minimal at that speed; but if I go up to 1400, it is completely unusable.

I've tried 2 different PCI soundcards...an M-Audio 1010LT and a SB X-Fi Fatal1ty, both with the same results.
I've also tried different PCI slots with no avail.

My guess would be that it's a voltage issue...does that sound right to anyone? Is there anyway in checking to see if the PCI slots are getting proper voltage? I have a 950W power supply, so I wouldn't think anything is underpowered...unless the MB is underpowering things on its own. Would increasing SB voltage help this problem?

It sounds like either a voltage related issue or the possibility that the PCI-E frequency is higher than 100 MHz. Normally insufficient Vcore is the cause, but usually causes either a blue screen / reboot or lockup if that's the case. Bump your Vcore up to 1.35v, and make sure the PCI-E frequency is locked at 100 MHz. You might also want to post the rest of your voltages, including MCH, SB Core, CPU VTT, etc.

Thanks for the responses.

My PCI-E freq. is set at 100Mhz.

I will try bumping the vcore voltage to 1.35v this evening. Cooling isn't a problem at this point. I have had SOME blue screens since OC'ing...bumped the vcore up a bit (up to 1.26v for 3.08Ghz) seemed to fix the blue screens. If 1.35v doesn't help, I'll post my other voltages this evening.

Depending on the VID and batch of the chip, 1.26 Vcore may be sufficient for a 600 MHz OC on a Q6600 but unlikely. Bump it up to at least 1.3v first, then run Prime blend to check for stability.

I'm still having the problems described above. I've tried various voltages, overvoltages, undervoltages...and every combination...on all components. My last 2 evenings have been filled with BIOS screens...I'm seeing them in my sleep.

Anyways, if I back my FSB down to 1333 (3.0 Ghz on the Q6600) or below, the problems seem to disolve. Once I raise it, the problems go up with the FSB frequency.

I would assume the PCI is locked at 33Mhz on this board...there's no option to change it in the bios. My thought was that the soundcard was freaking out with a higher PCI speed...but I don't think that's the case.

And , as I said, I've tried two different soundcards, also two different PCI slots....so I don't think it's a specific problem with the
Would a thermal problem cause all this? I have no cooling on my chipsets.....would a thermal problem on the Northbridge cause this?

To be honest I haven't checked the onboard sound yet. I'm hoping I'm not going to be stuck with the onboard sound. :(

Edit: Vista, 32bit.

Post all of the voltages listed in the BIOS when you have the CPU Clock at 337 MHz or higher. Do you have the latest chipset drivers installed, including all of the latest Windows updates for Vista x86?

I have all the latest chipset drivers installed, and all the latest windows updates.

My voltages, as reported by the BIOS, are: (with everything set on Auto, FSB at 1375)

Vcore 1.29
mem 1.87
1.2 HT 1.24
NB 1.32
SB 1.52
CPU VTT 1.36
DDR Term 0.92
3.3V 3.32
5V 4.97
12V 12.03

Last edited:
For what its worth, i am having this problem with my onboard sound. No other sound cards to test with. Only 1256FSB. Will post if i resolve.

Eh I've pretty much given up hope that this will ever be resolved.

I don't want do point the finger at Creative for this problem, since i get the same problem with my M-Audio card in the same slot. Also, it's not the typical "snap crackle pop" or "scream of death" I hear of that so many CL owners have.

I've thought that maybe this was a PCI latency problem; but there is nowhere in the BIOS to adjust this. PCI Latency Tool locks up on me.

Eh. Maybe a new motherboard.

It sounds like either a voltage related issue or the possibility that the PCI-E frequency is higher than 100 MHz. Normally insufficient Vcore is the cause, but usually causes either a blue screen / reboot or lockup if that's the case. Bump your Vcore up to 1.35v, and make sure the PCI-E frequency is locked at 100 MHz. You might also want to post the rest of your voltages, including MCH, SB Core, CPU VTT, etc.

It's not the Vcore, AFAIK. It sounds like the PCI bus.

Back