• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Coming back to WC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sHape oF gReY

Hello lads,

I've been away from WC for a while, about 2 years or so, warmer weather is coming up and I was looking to get back into it when I come off of deployment in a month. When I come back, I want to go in swinging. My first first setup was under $150, this one will be a tad higher. Like I said I still have a month before I'm home but I want to take this time to find the right parts and maybe find some nice deals on those parts.

Here's what I'm looking at right now (see sig for specs):

CPU: D-Tek FuZion
GPU: Swiffy MCW-60
RAD: ThermoChill 120.3
RES: EK RES150
PUMP: Laing D5 (vario)
CASE: TJ07

I'm also thinking about adding a chipset block, but not sure how useful it would be, plus I wanted to keep it clean.

Just want to know what you guys think about this? Let me know if I could swap out parts for something cheaper without loosing much, if any performance or may be change a part out because its a POS. Always looking to save some cash :)

Let me know what you guys think.

~cheers

That looks liek a sweet setup man. I don't see anything wrong there.

As far as NB cooling goes, it really depends on your over clocks, and what kind of cooling you need. That asus board has a pretty decent cooler for the NB already, so I really wouldn't worry about cooling it with water. If you were gonna push 1.5 through the NB and really clock the FSB, then you MIGHT consider it.

Ok I;m seeing quite a few people using TT Armor cases with WC. What do you guys think about TJ07 vs. TT Armor, Armor has a pretty nice layout and is hell of a lot cheaper.

I personally don't have any experience with the TJ07, but looking at teh pics of it, It looks like the Armor is the easier of the two to get a big radiaor in without too much in the way of modding. The TJ07 does have that area underneath the 5.25 drive cage and mobo, but it look sliek you'd need to do some cutting to the case to get a radiator down there.

the TJ07 is a nice case, more money than I would want to pay. The Armor is a huge case, with plenty of WCing options. I personally would go for the Armor.

Yeah, I kinda like the armor, and it is 100+ cheaper. Going to have to read up some more on the two models before I do anything. Also decided to add a chipset cooler (MCW30) since I'll be going to Peryn's when the dualcores hit the market and they seem to really like high FSB.

Hopefully the pump and rad is up to the task of cooling an e8500,NB and a volt modded GT.

Hopefully the pump and rad is up to the task of cooling an e8500,NB and a volt modded GT.

The D5 will have no problem at all. You may also consider opting for a Swiftech MCR320 instead of a Thermochill 120.3. You can buy two MCR320 rads and have change left over. The Thermochill is the best of the best, and since I am using very low spinning fans (yate loons at about 4-5v), and since I got a PA120.3 new for only $105 shipped (a very, very rare deal), I opted for it. But given the lack of availability and high pricing ($135 or more + shipping), I just don't think that the Thermochill is worth the price.

Iraq huh? That stinks. I did a stint in Kuwait in 2003 and it definitely sucked. Fortunately my MOS is being contracted out so I haven't had to go back.

Hmm well I'll try and play around with getting 2 swiffy Rads. I dont really care if I dish out some cash on this, because I'm planning on this lasting me a good 2 years or so.

In other news we found our 4th IED this morning.

Attachments

• DCP08091708.jpg
    DCP08091708.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 84
It's a shame that 99.9% of the the people who plant those don't blow themselves up in the process, saving you and teams like yours, and innocent civilians lives.

Yeah I wish of them blew themselves up. Couple months back we had couple guys dressed as OPF (oil protection force) blow themselves up while emplacing an IED. It was kinda funny, because their SUV few across the road (about 15m) from where they emplaced the IED, killing 3 out of 4 personnel inside, we detained the 4th. Problem is that all the dumb ones have weeded themselves out, only ones left are the smarter ones, but they still go up in smoke every now and then.

BTW, heres some more angles. We were kinda lucky on this one...couple more feet and...well you get the point.

Attachments

• DCP0809408.jpg
    DCP0809408.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 90
You guys deploying in Humvees?

What about the MRAPs? I thought they were outfitting all the IED teams with the "buffalos"?

Heh, I wish we had MRAPs, there are very few of them in country. As far as buffalo's go it just isn't practical for our mission. We're not an exclusive RST (route security team), we also do PSD mission and others that we can't really discuss...and buffalo's are a bit too big for what we do. Buffalo + off-roading = no go at this station.:)

We roll around in M1114s and M1151s. The 14s we got are POS, and have been in theater for 3+ years, 51's aren't too bad...at least heat and AC work :). Plus the electric turrets are fun when you're bored.

Yeah, those buffalos are a beast.

If your 14s had an "accident" would they replace them with some newer models???

Well, right now the only 1114s we have are mostly FOb runners and spare trucks. Pretty much everyone in our company runs 1151s.

When we did run 1114s and one met its end, we did get a brand spakin new 1151, but that doesn't happen often...plus its a pain in the ***, cause you have to do a lot of crap to bring em up to speed: CREW system....BFT, fog lights, PA system...go-light usually takes a couple weeks. But it sure is nice to have a nice clean truck with 700 miles on it haha.

Trust me, we're doing our best to come back in one piece. Just a couple more months to go, maybe less if the new unit rotation comes early. Then I get to spend my hard earned $$$ on some OC toys. :bday:

And then you can do some good gaming and take out your frustrations!

Man that was a close call on that IED. Fortunately for me I was a rear theatre asset and stayed in Kuwait the entire time of my all expenses paid vacation.

Ok, i've decided to lock in on TJ07 over TT Armor due to the fact it seems from all that I've been reading that its a real pain in the arse to mount a 120.3 internaly (esp. on the front). Plus TJ07 will leave me with plenty of room to drop a 2ns loop in if needed later on, maybe another 120.2 :santa:

Back