• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Too many mobo!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Red_LightRanger

Ok so I have been searching through oc forums trying to decide what mobo I should get for my Q6600 but there are so many options that its hard to decide lol. Im building a new rig which i will mostly be using it for GAMES.

Im not going to be using raid or sli. I just want a board that will be compatible for a while with any new cpu's coming out. Im also willing to spend around 200$$ (of course give or take 20 bucks). I do plan on going 4gigs of memory sooner or later though.

I hear a lot of talk about the IP35 pro and the IX38 Quad gt, but I just want the best board for what I will be using my new comp for.

Let me know if there is any more criteria needed that would narrow your recommendations down. :)

well then look at the Abit IP35 if you can find it still for sale. other wise look at the gigabyte P35-S3L,P35-S3,P35-DS3,P35-DS3L boards, there are some asus boards i would list off but they have only 3 phase pwm. For a quad you want at least 4phase pwm for the cpu voltage.

well then look at the Abit IP35 if you can find it still for sale. other wise look at the gigabyte P35-S3L,P35-S3,P35-DS3,P35-DS3L boards, there are some asus boards i would list off but they have only 3 phase pwm. For a quad you want at least 4phase pwm for the cpu voltage.

Not meaning to highjack this thread but would the P5K Premium be 3phase or 4 phase? I was about to order this board when I read your post.

I know at least 2 forums that I go to and everyone that has a IP35 Pro swears by them for performace and stabality. I was about to order a P5K premium now I don't know .

theres meny things to factor in as well well what i found.
you dont want to use SLI.. but will you want to in the future( somthing i did not think about when i got my bord lol) but anyway if your sure not not going to the P35 chip set works great for me they had no asus in store when i got my bord so i got an MSI witch at the moment works great.. havent done any overclocking yet no need. i can play crysis on Med graphics with AA x2 or x4 and it works well or on high with no AA..

now with getting a bord like mine you can do crossfire (witch is 2 ATI cars) i dont like ATI but thats me you have that option..

also if you get a bord and put vista on it remember that your coppy on windows vista will be locked to that bord.. reason why you should pick one you want to keep :D

the P35 chip set is made by intell reason why its popular less things to go wrong while all the SLI bord's the Chip set is made by Nvidia. haveing an Intel chip set you have less things to go wrong :D. hope i was of some help.

(if anything i said was wrong please correct me :D) lol

Not meaning to highjack this thread but would the P5K Premium be 3phase or 4 phase? I was about to order this board when I read your post.
if i recall right its either 6phase or 8phase,on abit and asus you can tell by the number of chokes on the board. with gigabyte its a bit funner since they use only 2regs per choke vs 3 with the others.

why is the ip35 so popular? Is it 4phase?

cause for the longest time the IP35(might have been the -E, things are a bit fuzzy) was 89 with MIR and offered raid and firewire with 4phase pwm. the IP35-pro is a tweaked layout for the PWM and ocing in general to allow higher ocing in extreme cooling. The IP35-E and IP35 are hard to beat when you find them for sale. they no longer are on Newegg for some reason short supply or discounted just dunno. both are solid ocers for those looking to not spend alot.

I know at least 2 forums that I go to and everyone that has a IP35 Pro swears by them for performace and stabality. I was about to order a P5K premium now I don't know .
i swear by mine no problems at all what so ever. it really all depends alot of people go for ASUS for the voltage dampener on the prem and DLX boards. they really dont do much in the way of helping for higher oc's. i tend to suggest others first before Asus since so many flock to them cause of the name,reminds me of sony. why i suggest them cause boards in the sub $130ish range do not offer 4phase pwm like the abit's or gigabytes. thats a big factor when someone wants a basic board to oc there quad core on and dont need the added features like raid or firewire or the voltage dampener.

theres meny things to factor in as well well what i found.
you dont want to use SLI.. but will you want to in the future( somthing i did not think about when i got my bord lol) but anyway if your sure not not going to the P35 chip set works great for me they had no asus in store when i got my bord so i got an MSI witch at the moment works great.. havent done any overclocking yet no need. i can play crysis on Med graphics with AA x2 or x4 and it works well or on high with no AA..

now with getting a bord like mine you can do crossfire (witch is 2 ATI cars) i dont like ATI but thats me you have that option..

also if you get a bord and put vista on it remember that your coppy on windows vista will be locked to that bord.. reason why you should pick one you want to keep :D

the P35 chip set is made by intell reason why its popular less things to go wrong while all the SLI bord's the Chip set is made by Nvidia. haveing an Intel chip set you have less things to go wrong :D. hope i was of some help.

(if anything i said was wrong please correct me :D) lol
well i never had any big issues with the NV680i, really its minor stuff that could have poped up with any other board. the only thing is that when ocing duals it didnt clock like P35 does. reason is that NV680i was release not long after P965, 680i offered the best of board worlds at the time. high-higher fsb then P965 with 975X performance per clock.

My 680i ran great it just didn't wanna clock like i wanted it to. but other than it it was a solid board.

But I too am a supporter of the abit ip35-pro, great board :)

both really good choices from what i've read here. it probably comes down to the differences in features and/or money. now that you have it down to two, i'd go browse around the "official" threads for those mobos and get to know their idiosyncrasies. i'm in the market for p35 or x38 and the IP35 pro, X38-DQ6 and Maximus Formula make up my current shortlist

if your after raid support then you want to look at the P35-DS3R board, other wise just choose! :p

good thinkin leftheaded I have been readin a lot on both boards. I think Im going to go with the ip35 pro even though its a little more expensive. Im glad I finally came to a clear choice, since this was my hardest piece to select.

I guess this is a good of a place to post this as any, but could u guys rate this system?

MOBO - ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
PROC- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad
GPU - EVGA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
MEM- Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
POWER - CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W

Im also looking into the 22inch widescreen dell wfp.. All i need now is a decent case.

... rate this system?

MOBO - ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
PROC- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad
GPU - EVGA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
MEM- Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
POWER - CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W

Im also looking into the 22inch widescreen dell wfp.. All i need now is a decent case.
that looks solid to me. what are you cooling with? what kind of OC are you aiming for?

you did mention this is for games, so the only thing i'd say is spring for the 8800GTS 512MB if funds permit. either way, i think you'll be pretty happy once you get it built.

i would switch the ram, seems that if stock or oced you run a high chance of the ram dieing on you. some have said there ram lasted 7days-4months before deing. my HZ's died after 3months with active cooling, they use the same IC's as on that ram.

i would suggest you look at the 2gig kits from gskill the pc2-6400-HK/PK's. then/or 4gig ddr2-1000 kit thats only $114 right now at newegg.

I have an extra ultra120extreme that Im going to be cooling with. I have heard that its possible to get the Q6600 up to 3.6 with air, so I guess thats the highest im going to go for. The only reason i went with the gt is that I hear the g92 (gts) arent that much better (pricewise).

Ill have to recheck the ram, Im usually a mushkin customer but I heard that crucial had some solid deals. Ill have to take a look at the gskill.

question.... so if the mobo says (under specs)
memory standard: DDR2 800, that means i can only get that type of mem which is PC2 6400?? sorry for newb question

you can run any speed ram you want in the board. when you see what ram is listed in the specs that means at with the cpu at stock fsb those are the speeds of ram you can use. when your ocing its not going to matter cause of the different multis you have for ram speeds.

Back