• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

POST halts: "Overclocking failed. Press F1 to enter setup": WHY?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

Why is it I get this pause at POST sometimes. I do not think it is specifically related to "overclocking". Currently I am not overclocking, well not the cpu specifically. Its a P4 2.6C cpu, and I have the overclock at std. or zero over, so I have 200/400 set on this Asus P4C800E-D mobo. 200 x 13x multiplier, so 2.6GHz. I may have the options in the category of being able to be overclocked. But the overclock settings are not "wrong". And I don't have to change anything - I just need to press [F1] to enter the BIOS, then [ESC] to exit BIOS, thus no actual changes are really required. It says something about 00 USB devices found, or soemthing, but thats just reporting a regular function of a specific setting or something. Right now, things aren't to be fixed, its a general question, I am having other problems and this isn't a must fix and may be causing it currently, but this seems to occur at other times, when things are otherwise in working condition. Its just an aggravation at those other times, and I'd like to know what its about. Is there a reason, or a fix. Is this telling me something, is this that somethng needs to be fixed, more than normal, or a quirk that would better be left off the function list of this mobo model?

I get the message something like:

"Overclocking failed. Press F1 to enter setup."

The POST just stops, and I have to enter and just leave, without any real changes. Normally to enter BIOS I need to press [DEL].

had this happen with several asus mb's amd+intel cpu's, I just did CTRL+ALT+DEL to quickly reboot and would allow it to boot normally (until the next time error happened)

Back