• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the x48 chipset worth waiting for?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gregz

I plan on building a new gaming rig in about 3 weeks: Abit IP35 Pro + Penryn Quad + 2X2GB DDR2.

Does anyone think I should wait for a x48 DD3 motherboard instead?

What performance increase would the x48 chipset give vs. the IP35's x36 chipset? (fps while playing games like Crysis, HL2, etc.)

Any and all info is appreciated, Thanks.

In price to price comparisons, you would be better off getting a faster GPU or a better processor/cooling. Memory isn't really a bottleneck and p35 overclocks like no other. ;)

I'd say no, the X38 will give you basically everything you'd get from the X48, except it lets you keep the FAR less expensive DDR2 modules. And just as thideras pointed out, DDR3 really isn't breaking any new ground on bottlenecks -- you'd be far better served spending the excess money on a faster CPU or GPU.

I'd say no, the X38 will give you basically everything you'd get from the X48, except it lets you keep the FAR less expensive DDR2 modules. And just as thideras pointed out, DDR3 really isn't breaking any new ground on bottlenecks -- you'd be far better served spending the excess money on a faster CPU or GPU.
IP35 = P35 chipset. Even X38 isn't worth it right now, reports show lower overclocks than P35...

Ninja edit: x38 is the same chipset as x48 IIRC. Same as 680i vx 780i ;)

The X48's are only "cherry Picked" X38's anyway. Nearly all the x38 boards have issues of one form or another. So it's anyone's guess what sort of problems there will be with the X48's. As there arn't any cpu's that the P35 can't run, until Nehalem is released. It really would be better to stick with the P35.

The X48's are only "cherry Picked" X38's anyway. Nearly all the x38 boards have issues of one form or another. So it's anyone's guess what sort of problems there will be with the X48's. As there arn't any cpu's that the P35 can't run, until Nehalem is released. It really would be better to stick with the P35.
Yup, that is what I thought. Nehalem is a different socket though, so X48 won't be able to run them ;)

dont forget as well that intel talked about P45 in Q2-08. the only thing i can tell about it, is that its a modified P35 with support for PCIE 2.0.

like the others have said your better off with P35, that is if you dont need CF. even then the numbers favored the Asus P35 based board, sorry the model eludes me right now. seems to be the only one,i have seen/found that in cf mode is 8x/8x,instead of 16x/4x. im still not to sure how they did it but i ran across a review i need to find agian to post. the 8x/8x had better better numbers across the board then 16x/4x. also in some games it has better numbers then the 16x/16x CF setup.

Back