• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a Mobo for a Wolfdale

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kevy8up

Not sure how to ask this, but I guess I wanted to take advantage of the high FSB on the E8400. Any current boards out there that are dependable to run on such a high FSB or should I be more worried about the RAM.

maybe hes getting at which motherboard can overclock to the high FSB walls of the new chips?

if that is the question i would stick with the p35 boards, and i would suggest an abit ip35-pro, theres a screenshot of it doing 610mhz fsb :)

Yea sorry guys, was at work and trying to figure out what im looking for. I guess, is it worth Getting a DDR3 board this early or Do we have Fast enough DDR2 that I could stick with a DDR2 board and get the full FSB out of the wolfdale? I hope this kinda clears it up a lil.

I'm just not sure if i should upgrade now or wait for the new socket, the new DDR3 boards and DDR3 ram to come down.....bleh

really all depends to be honast if you have money then for pure fsb matter ddr3 is the way to go. simply cause ddr3 wont require the high voltage which ddr2 does for reaching the same speeds. while ddr2 is cheaper and some of the ram is speced for high voltage long term ddr2 voltage shoudlnt go past 2.2v. all the ddr2 ram that can run that high speed past 500mhz aka ddr2-1000 is the high speed D9's. from lots of people with the newer D9 batches seem to dies easily. though i would find it hard to for anyone with a 9x multi or higher needing anything past 500mhz fsb, thats just me though. there is some nice ddr2-1000 sticks which are in 4gig kits for $114 at newegg from Gskill they are not D9 based so the chances them dieing seems much lower atm. as they only need a mere 2.1v for ddr2-1000 5-5-5-15/16 timings.

one this is for sure you have options, just depends on how much you are willing to spend.

Back