• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Current supplied by a 300W PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zag0r

Registered
As above, what sort of current would a 300W PSU output in the 12V molex's?

If you look on the PSU, it should say what the current capacity of each output should be. If you don't have the PSU yet, it's pretty much a guessing game unless you are considering a known quality supply like Antec, Enermax, or Sparkle. Performance and quality vary greatly among the lesser name supplies. In the case of the Antec 300W PSU, the +12V is rated for a maximum of 20A, but 15A would be a safer bet. Some lesser name 300W PSUs only put out 12A at 12V.

73, Hoot

Similar question:

My new 1.3 T-bird, like my last 1 gig t-bird, is not overclocking to my satisfaction. I believe that the psu is the culprit. I have swapped between two different generic 300 watt psu's, and in both cases the 5v is pretty low using the motherboard sensor, 4.7 or even 4.68!...(I am aware that this could be inaccurate, and that the atx connection could also be a problem.)

Nevertheless, I am looking for a new psu. What would you recommend as the minimum 5v output amps? These generics say 29 or 30, if you can trust that..."Deer" and "Premier" brands. I am looking at Enermax, Sparkle, and Top Power at local shops.

Your help would be appreciated.

1.3 t-bird
epox 8kha
256 crucial 2100 DDR

I would recommend one that is rated, like my Antec 400, for 5V @ 40A. Tbirds guzzle the current when you run up the core voltage.

73, Hoot

I agree with Hoot I have two Antec P/S and they seem to have the highest current on each line of all the P/S I looked at. of course the P/S won't work with everything maxed out I still believe the Antec would go higher if you P/S truely was using all the lines to there max potental

Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of one of those 2 fan psu's like Enermax, ToPower, Heroichi, etc...those Antec's just aren't as pretty...

But I looked at the ratings, and it looks like Antec has the highest combined watts, 245!!! I really want to give my T-bird all it wants...and I am sure an XP is in my future.

Last edited:
Another option is to run dual psus, if your case has room (or you don't mind a power supply next to your pc!)

I did this for a long time with a 250w psu for the mobo and an old 150w for fans, cd and hdd and it worked well: 5v rail stayed above 5 all the time.

Back