• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit icg-7 will not post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

=AG= Devilhorse

Before I toss this mobo in the garbage can I thought I would throw this out there and get some ideas.

Here is what happened. I built a new system but I need the sata drive and sound card out of my old one to put in the new one. Replaced the sata with the ide drive that use to run the system ans was going to use on board sound as this computer was just gonna be use as a backup.

Well while I was in there I noticed the famous loops hold the north bridge cooler had come loose. So I gathered them up and I put a little glue on them and pushed them back into place. After it was dry I put the cooler back in place hit the power switch and I got nothing. No bios screen no nothing.

I reset cmos pulled the battery attempted it again and nothing. Could the glue be jumping something? I tested the video card in another machine and it works fine. I pulled some of the memory out and still nothing not even a blink. So I guess I have killed the board but I thought I would ask if anyone had any ideas. The only thing I can think of is something with the glue but I did not think it was enough to do anything.

only thing i would is take it out of the case pull battery put the ctr jumper on 2/3 for a day or so then try to boot with just the video car one stick of rom and cpu ofcourse and good luck
Rich

I will give that a shot. I took the battery out once but I only left it out for a couple of minutes. I hate to have to buy a new mobo for an old sytem but I paid so much for all the compents that I just soon keep them as try to sell them because I would not get anything for it now.

only thing i would is take it out of the case pull battery put the ctr jumper on 2/3 for a day or so then try to boot with just the video car one stick of rom and cpu ofcourse and good luck
Rich

I will give that a shot. I took the battery out once but I only left it out for a couple of minutes. I hate to have to buy a new mobo for an old sytem but I paid so much for all the compents that I just soon keep them as try to sell them because I would not get anything for it now.

I had a similar problem with my IC7-G after a stick of RAM failed. A several hour BIOS reset (unplugged, battery out, jumper to clear) finally brought it back to life.

Good luck, hope you get it back because it's a great board.

:bang headwell I moved the jumper and I took the battery out left it out a couple of days put it back in last night and now it will not even turn on at all. Before it would turn on just a blank screen but everything would come on. Now you hit the power button and it does nothing. The lights on the mobo are on so its still getting power. I have no idea what going on. The mobo has been rock solid for a long time and did not give me one issue until I went in and saw the north bridge cooler was loose and decided to fix it. I have looked over it and over it and don't see any burnt marks and it does not have any burnt smell. I am only using one stick of ram for testing and have moved it to different slots just to see. Unless the glue I used to hold the loops for the northbrige on is cross something out some how I am lost. Want to use it for a backup system but it about to be in the garbage system.

yea I actually leave it unplugged all the time unless I am working with it. Its ashamed it was a really good system and working fine and would run every game except for crysis so it was a great backup system. Oh well just my luck and so far no luck getting it to power up.

looks that way. Still won't even power up. She has been a good one. I may frame her and hang her on the wall.

i know the feeling had my asus p4c800 e deluxe for years loved that board gave it to my duagther last week i sure miss it been my back up for last two years
Rich

Is it possible for you to take a pic of the area that you applied glue to? Could it be making contact between other components?

By the way, here is an alternative fix for those loops, should you ever have the need again and want to avoid using glue.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1180/

This one is similar (admire the first pic, but it has nothing to do with chipset loops), but a little more basic than the first. Not in English, but the pics tell the story.

http://216.92.157.135/MoBo_Buegel_selbst_gemacht.html

Well I still have not given up just yet. I actually took the board back out and brought it to work with me today. I got some electrical cleaner and went to work. I have cleaned all the glue up off the board and from what I can tell I did not hurt anything in doing so. So when I get home I am gonna test the power supply make sure its good and hook it back up and hope I get something out a her.

As far as where I put the glue it was on the loops then I stuck the loops in the board there was some extra that worked its way to the top of the board. However I did not think the glue would carry current but I was not sure. It was over several of the lines running through the board itself. You have to forgive me I don't know what they are called. It was just around the area of the loops not very far away. Anyway I think I have it all removed now. I took my time and was really careful to make sure I did not damage any of the lines running through the board and from best I can see with the naked eye its all gone.

Back