• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

laser acrylic cutting? Anyone here?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

voigts

I am just asking if anyone here has access to laser cut a few simple roundish pieces of 1/4" acrylic. I am considering making a new size of res and if I do so, I would like to get a few pieces of round acrylic caps laser cut. (It is very difficult to cleanly cut round pieces out of acrylic with a jig saw.) Everyplace online that I can find doesn't do small things like this.

Thanks for the suggestion, but OUCH: "Simple jobs on simple machines generally start at around $150 for setup and as low as $1 per part (or even lower) for simple parts."

Lathe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lathe_(tool)

you bolt your acryilc to it it turns and you just carve it up... it will be PERFECTLY round. Now and then you stop and check if it fits snug into the tube if not cut some more, can even shave a thin layer off with sand paper.

This way you dont have to get it laser cut... and spend $$ but it will be PERFECTLY round and ready for some capilary action.

Lathe

can even shave a thin layer off with sand paper.
How would you attach a 1/4" acrylic disk to a lathe?
You'd have to drill a hole in it and use a mandrill. An easier method is to machine the ends from 3/4-1" delrin. You could then even machine inlet/outlet holes on the ends.
And a lathe will machine off a thin layer more accurately than sanding.

I didnt see it was so dam tiny what kinda res is that...?

I meant while its turning on the lathe you use sand paper...

Back