• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI P6N Platinum Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

philp

Registered
I bought this board a few months ago, and I decided to stick a E2180 in and OC it. It ran fine for the last few weeks at 2.9Ghz, 290Mhz x 10, vcore 1.366. Recently it started crashing after 20 minutes or so of running, or 5 minutes into a game (COD4, Company of Heroes, etc). When I start it up, it has the typical boot-up screen listing things like PS/2 booting, HD, ASUStek CD drive booting, etc, but right on top of that is a block of text saying something like "200fsb bus processor inserted. This board does not support a 200fsb bus, blah blah blah, so it will be lowered, blah blah blah lower performance." BIOS version is 1.4, which is below the latest at 1.5, which I don't know how to install.

I have an M0 stepping E2180 which when I OCed it to 2.9Ghz, it ran at about 24C idle and roughly 42C loaded. The Tjunction is listed at 85C.

Anyone else have similar issues?

just a thought but have you reflashed the bios? might be something wierd going on with the bios, that a flash can fix.

Okay I was wondering how to do that earlier. I DLed BIOS v1.5, and it comes with a Word document with instructions how to flash the BIOS, but it talks about booting from a floppy and formating drive A:/, but I haven't had a floppy drive for a the last 5+ years and I don't have a drive A:/. Help?

burn the rom or bin file to the cd, there should be instructions on how to bios update from a cd/dvd. on most motherboards you can hit alt-F2 for it to start the update. if the file on the cd/dvd isnt the name its looking for it wont owkr.

I have an almost similar board and issues. You might want to update the bios through MSI live update first which is safer than manually flashing the bios. It also may be an issue with your other components. My system used to hang either on POST or boot because of one of my HDDs, when I reseated and rewired to make sure there are no obstructions on the wiring. and the issue was fixed.

The screen you are seeing during POST 200fsb bus processor inserted. This board does not support a 200fsb bus, blah blah blah, so it will be lowered, blah blah blah lower performance." is common to the line of MSI P6N boards when it is OC'd. however, if your system will not go through POST, you may want to OC you memory and incease it voltage 3 notches from stock and up the northbridge voltage too...

That's what I did on my P6N. Though I did not re-flash the bios to a lower version, so that may be your first problem.

I have an almost similar board and issues. You might want to update the bios through MSI live update first which is safer than manually flashing the bios. It also may be an issue with your other components. My system used to hang either on POST or boot because of one of my HDDs, when I reseated and rewired to make sure there are no obstructions on the wiring. and the issue was fixed.

The screen you are seeing during POST 200fsb bus processor inserted. This board does not support a 200fsb bus, blah blah blah, so it will be lowered, blah blah blah lower performance." is common to the line of MSI P6N boards when it is OC'd. however, if your system will not go through POST, you may want to OC you memory and incease it voltage 3 notches from stock and up the northbridge voltage too...

That's what I did on my P6N. Though I did not re-flash the bios to a lower version, so that may be your first problem.

It is NOT safer to update through MSI's update utility. Always update with a Floppy/USB Drive/CD Drive from within the BIOS. Anything else is extremely risky. It doesn't matter how many times it has worked for you, I assure you, it is much risker to do any BIOS work inside of Windows.

Okay thanks. I have the stupid MSI Live Update thing installed, but it hasn't done squat. I dled the update, and there are 4 files, 7350v1x.txt (which just says "This is a AMI BIOS Update for the P6N..."), A7350NMS.150 (No clue what that is), Afud408.exe (No clue), and a word doc named "How to flash the BIOS". The "How to flash" document is really crazy. It tells me to boot from a floppy, then do some ridiculous things like format drive A:/ and c:/test, etc. To properly flash, do I just burn these documents to a CD and put it in?

this is your bios file "A7350NMS.150 " the afud408.exe is for if your in dos and flashing the bios. just put A7350NMS.150 on the cd and when it boots up hit ALT-F2, you might have to try it a few times to get it started. i did on my IP35-PRO, the way tell if you can do this is when the motherboard comes up after counting ram and says hit ALT-F2... err or was it CTRL-F2, grr i hate when i forget...

I'll try and see what happens. Hopefully it works.

Okay I tried it a few times, and alt+F2 doesn't seem to have any effect. I burned the .150 file onto a blank cd, and I tried, and it is still listed as BIOS 1.4. Any other way?

the question is do you see it on the screen after boot up. it should say hit alt-f2 if it doesn then you have to find a floppy drive it seems. you would know the alt-f2 method works caue it would start the flash program stored in the bios. sounds like though yours might not have it but i cant see the startup of the comp..

when the computer starts up there isn't a screen where it says to hit alt-f2. When the computer starts up, it starts with the Nvidia GeForce loadup thing, showing stats of the graphics card like 256mb, etc. Then it shows the boot-up screen, where it lists a bunch of the components booting up and to press del for BIOS and F11 for setup or something. Then Windows starts up. I dont have a floppy drive either...

Back