• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Super cheap, super cool

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
You know that air in a can stuff? if you use the stuff you've probobly discovered that a very cold liquid comes out and evaporates when the can is upside down. I thought well hey, this is kinda like LN2 so I made a ghetto super cooling setup:
IMG_1651.jpg
IMG_1650.jpg
IMG_1652.jpg
What your seeing here is a very frosty coffee cup liner. it isn't lapped, made of steel, it isn't too flat and there is no thermal paste so these temps are actually pretty impressive. Its held down and insulated (heres the ghetto part) with sugar free gum.
So temp in bios with the stuff in the liner was 9c low and 14c high and when it all evaporated temps went sky high. If you have a dry ice or LN2 tube and a pair of gloves, please try this and compare it to LN2
Thanks,
Ben333

Very interesting...as I followed the whole saga with you on AIM, I had to be the first to post in this thread.

It would be cool to see a more permanent method devised using a similar cheap/ghetto setup. Then again, I'm no cooling expert...it just looks like a pretty nice experiment.

Matt

not sure thats a good idea, i believe that stuff is flammable, at least the stuff i messed with is. but it is defenitally a unique idea!

To compare, I filled the cup with ice and water. Temps started around 48 and now about 5 minutes later its 52

Its 58C now, didn't change ice or water and its been about an hour from the first temps.

dump some salt in there to lower temps.

try filling the cup with ice (cubes and a bit of crushed) layer some salt in there but putting in a 1/4 of ice then salt, then another 1/4 of ice, more salt, etc. until the cup is mostly full. then fill it up with cold water and see what that does.

^I'll have to try it. With just a cup of now room tempeture water I maintain 60C Idle with a fan blowing into the cup.

I am working on one right now with a aluminum water bottle. I reach -8C on the bottom of the bottle. No water used, just a crap load of ice cream salt and crushed ice. The bottle is so cold that I can't pick it up without my fingers turning purple after 5 seconds.

I think if I messed around using random liquids(antifreeze maybe?) I could get even lower temps.

What can I use on my current board to insulate besides dielectric grease? I dont want to ruin the board since I use it daily and I really want to try this.

edit: I have found out that nail polish will work so I am going to use this clear hard as nails stuff so I can finally test this out. I am still going to use gum around the CPU socket lol

will i need to use something below the CPU between the pins and the board?

well I just did it. 32C at first, then it started dropping once the salt started melting the ice. Lowest was 24C.

shortly after it jumped to 40C under load

Last edited:

Explain the sugar-free gum part

Did you actually just chew a piece of gum and stick it between your processor and makeshift pot?

Sweeto idea if it worked :thup:

I just jammed the gum where there is a gap between the socket area and the side of the CPU. Everything else was covered with nail polish(besides the CPU socket of course)

Explain the sugar-free gum part

Did you actually just chew a piece of gum and stick it between your processor and makeshift pot?

Sweeto idea if it worked :thup:

Yeah. I just let it sit in my mouth for the flavor to dissolve and when it had no taste I used it. To insulate I am using vaseline but I can't recommend it because I don't know how safe / well it works. I just get a big blob and spread it all over the socket, the back of the mobo, around the socket, etc. The stuff also makes OK thermal paste :beer:

Back