• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

radiator cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kyussinchains

I've been considering a watercooled setup for a while, I like the swiftech h20 120 and 220 kits as they dont need much assembly and there have been plenty of good reviews for them.

I'm interested in water cooling for most of the standard advantages, as well as moving the heat outside of the case (my case isnt huge and cavernous and I've got so much other stuff to buy, a new case is last on the list)

I'm wondering if anyone has experimented with chilling the radiator as a method of improving performance?

I was given a tiny cola can fridge last year, it's got a thermoelectric plate in the back which cools to approximately 3C I was wondering if it's worth bolting that plate to the radiator of a watercooling setup to help chill the water down to sub ambient temps.

I'm no expert on watercooling (still dont understand how the same loop can cool two things..... surely heat from one will reduce cooling on the other?:confused:) I just wondered if anyone thinks it's worth trying and if so, has anyone done anything like that?

it would probably help, but also at the same time be more expensive than couple of fans (electric bill)

if you cool the water to sub ambient you will need to insulate as it will condensate and may fry your rig

That size of a chiller may not make much of a difference. A couple fans on the radiator is all you need, trust me.

As for how a loop can cool multipel components, the short story is:

Water is capable of conducting, and HOLDING heat FAR better than air. The given volume of water is able to "absorb" far more thermal radiation than air. As such, it takes signifigantly more heat to heat up a given volume of water than the same volume of air.

X number of heat dumped into A volume of air will produce a higher temp change in the air than if the same amount of heat were dumped into the same voluem of water.

Add to that water is able to transmit heat far more efficiently, and it all works together to allow water to cool multiple components in line.

Back