• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How far can you upgrade a Dell 775 board...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

Where I work we are going to be upgrading a fairly important user from a generic XP machine that has been having problems to an Optiplex 320 from Dell running Vista Business. It runs ok, but it does seem a little laggy. It has an Allendale E2140 in it right now. Given I can't find anything on this board and the BIOS is very basic, what would be the best upgrade for it for better performance? Can I go up to the E4xxx series of Allendales and still be assured of it working, or am I limited to the E21xx Allendales? Or is it not even worth it to try?

Or should I just give her my XP machine (Pendium D, and no real problems) and use the Optiplex myself?

Well, it looks like my reliable XP box will be going to somebody else. So, I guess I'm really interested in how high it can go, because this Optiplex is going to be my main work machine.

Amusing side-note. I asked on Dell support chat how fast of a processor I can put in it, and I get pointed to a page reviewing the overclocablity of the E2140. Not quite what I was asking for, but amusing nonetheless.

Edit: Well, the best I got out of them was that an E4500 would work. Looks like it will handle 800fsb Allendale cores. I'd like to put something faster than that in, but with a wonky Dell BIOS I'm not sure what will work.

Last edited:
Well, if you can get a conductive pen, you could try doing the 1066fsb mod on that E2140, see if the machine accepts it. If it works, you have the option of either using that chip or getting an actual 1066 processor, and if it doesn't, you can just remove the conductive paint and go back to 800fsb, no harm done as long as you're careful about it.

That'd give you no initial cost outlay other than perhaps the cost of the pen if you don't have one, and you'll get a final word on the matter. From what little I can find, it appears that the chipset in that machine (Radeon Xpress 1100) does support 1066fsb, so it's really just a matter of the BIOS. Though, in my experience with Dells, they'll often run an unsupported chip just fine, just with possibly a misreported speed in the BIOS. (Which seems to have no ill effects, and the chip will show up correctly in Windows.) On the whole, they're not quite as picky as people seem to think.

I would recommend updating to the latest BIOS version before you try anything, though, just for good measure.

Well, if you can get a conductive pen, you could try doing the 1066fsb mod on that E2140, see if the machine accepts it. If it works, you have the option of either using that chip or getting an actual 1066 processor, and if it doesn't, you can just remove the conductive paint and go back to 800fsb, no harm done as long as you're careful about it.

That'd give you no initial cost outlay other than perhaps the cost of the pen if you don't have one, and you'll get a final word on the matter. From what little I can find, it appears that the chipset in that machine (Radeon Xpress 1100) does support 1066fsb, so it's really just a matter of the BIOS. Though, in my experience with Dells, they'll often run an unsupported chip just fine, just with possibly a misreported speed in the BIOS. (Which seems to have no ill effects, and the chip will show up correctly in Windows.) On the whole, they're not quite as picky as people seem to think.

I would recommend updating to the latest BIOS version before you try anything, though, just for good measure.

That is good to know. Since I'm going to be upgrading my motherboard soon, I thought I might try putting my Q6600 in it and if that works, most of the options I was looking at should work. I don't have a conductive pen, but I've been considering picking one up anyway.

And I have seen the instructions on the 1066 mod here.

Thanks again!

Back