• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of Upgrading My P5WDH to a P5K - Some Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Awake77

Right now I have an ASUS P5WDH and I love it, but I really want to upgrade to the new Yorkfield chip when it comes out and I know Im going to hit an FSB limitation when I go to overclock. Also, I make heavy use of the Intel Matrix RAID and Id like to have performance enhancements of the ICH9R vs the ICH7R southbridge on he P5W.

I was looking at this:

The P5K Black Pearl Edition
http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A4802835&cmp=OTC-fr00g13#

As it has the PCI slot configuration that I'd need to keep the machine working well with my PCI based hardware. (My PC is mainly a digital audio workstation, and I use a PCI-based audio interface along with 2 other PCI cards)

My questions are:

-Does this motherboard overclock with quad cores well? Id want to take the FSB up to at least 400Mhz to achieve 3.2Ghz with the Yorkfield with the 8x multiplier.

-Can I migrate my RAID0 array over to the ICH9R based board without issue? I read that all the newer ICH recognize arrays built on previous editions.

-If you've had a chance to use both the P5WDH and the P5K Black Pearl, which did you prefer?

Thanks for the help!
A77

thinking about doing the samething sep no quad for me but the raido should work may have to do a xp repair with new ich drivers but it should work always back up you file and picz so on just in case
Rich

Right now I have an ASUS P5WDH and I love it, but I really want to upgrade to the new Yorkfield chip when it comes out and I know Im going to hit an FSB limitation when I go to overclock. Also, I make heavy use of the Intel Matrix RAID and Id like to have performance enhancements of the ICH9R vs the ICH7R southbridge on he P5W.

I was looking at this:

The P5K Black Pearl Edition
http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A4802835&cmp=OTC-fr00g13#

As it has the PCI slot configuration that I'd need to keep the machine working well with my PCI based hardware. (My PC is mainly a digital audio workstation, and I use a PCI-based audio interface along with 2 other PCI cards)

My questions are:

-Does this motherboard overclock with quad cores well? Id want to take the FSB up to at least 400Mhz to achieve 3.2Ghz with the Yorkfield with the 8x multiplier.

-Can I migrate my RAID0 array over to the ICH9R based board without issue? I read that all the newer ICH recognize arrays built on previous editions.

-If you've had a chance to use both the P5WDH and the P5K Black Pearl, which did you prefer?

Thanks for the help!
A77

The only thing I can confirm is ICH7R to ICH9R is not a problem. I took a Raid 0/5 Matrix from a P5WDH to an IP35 Pro without problem.

My questions are:

Thanks for the help!
A77

1. Should not be a problem for an OC like that.
2. As S_Wilson said, no probs there as well.
3. Having owned both boards, I'll take the P5K. But 975X is still a killer board in 3D benchmarks.

Back