• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Powerup problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SRDSMN

Registered
As there is no real basic questions folder, and I have a motherboard that fits into this category, I guess I'll ask here. Then again, I also have some of every other folders bits and pieces, so who knows where it's supposed to be.

Problem.. I recently moved to the UK from the US, and shipped my PC over with me. It took a bit of a beating in the transfer process, but nothing too bad. The plexi on the side panel of the case was shattered, and the mounting clip for the CPU cooling fan broke away and the fan/sink came loose. I cleaned both the CPU and Sink and applied a new later of arctic silver, remounted the fan/sink, closed everything up, and............

When I hit the power button, the fans all turn over once, the lights in the fans that have them flash on briefly, lights on the mobo come on, and then nothing. I have to turn off the power at the power supply, then reset it, before I can hit the power button again, but it stays the same.

Before anyone asks, yes, I did switch the power supply from 110 to 230 before I tried.

edit: my sig, once upon a time, as all my relevant computer info in it, but I haven't posted here in a while, so not sure why it isn't there anymore. I'm using an EVGA 680i mobo, a Apevia Beast Power 650 supply, and a few other things that escape me at the moment, as my wife is nagging me to get ready to leave.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I think this is a no POST no video issue, even maybe a power issue. I would cut down to the basic parts first... board, video card, memory and processor... and remove all the other components, PCI cards, HDDs, IDE components and anything thats connected to the i/o panel, just leave the keyboard.. Check if you could get into bios.. if its the same, try swapping parts if you have extra known-good-parts. Start with the processor, then the memory, video card... so on so forth... that the first...

let us know what happens..

power coming on then off sound like you may have a short some whereif nothing else work remove you board from the case clear cmos by pulling the battery and sit cmos jumper to 2/3 for a few min.s and try with 1 stick of ram video card and cpu good luck
Rich

Back