• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which mobo for 4x2GB RAM & high oc?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leftheaded

Looking for motherboard recommendations

• a solid Q6600 overclock (400-450MHz FSB)
  • 4x2GB RAM (1:1 this is key)
  • 8800 Ultra
  • may spring for yorkfield later

Current short list is:
  • abit ip35 pro
  • asus maximus formula
  • gigabyte x38-dq6/4
  • 780i (had some issues with my 680i... i can get over it if it's the best way to go)

Last edited:
Well, I would say a P35 based board. Personally, I LOVE my Asus P5K Premium.

Also, just as an FYI 680i = 780i ;)

Same chipset except it has an extra "helper" chip for 3 lanes of PCI-E 16x.

I know your pain with the 680i board, I was once an owner and will never look back. :beer:

x38 isn't going to overclock better than p35 counterparts? i was under the impression they are better for some reason (regardless of whether you need crossfire)???

lol the mobo is such a hard choice!!

I vote for Gigabyte x38-ds4

*dual bios
*dual pcie 2.0 x16
*45nm ready
*Dual Channel 1200Mhz DDR2 ready
*High quality CPU power module with Ferrite Core Chokes, Lower RDS (on) MOSFETs and Lower ESR Solid Capacitors. (Perfect for quads and OC)
* Nice onboard DTS & Blu-ray lossless audio
* ICH9R - Intel matrix, v.good raid controller

And much more ;)

@leftheaded
X38 ocs the same as P35, the only real thing to choose it for is CF. since the OP is going with NV....
i am the OP too lol :D :beer:

i just found some disappointing news about the ip35 pro running 4x2GB at XS :(

was this corrected in a BIOS update, or is it still as bad as the poster implies??

picked up the ip35 pro yesterday. got it installed late last night, but won't have time to sort out drivers/bios updates for a few days. first step will be to get my USB keyboard and mouse working lol... only works in BIOS for now :(

Ive got the GA-X38-DQ6 but im using a wolfdale... Overclocking is wonderful, tons of options, quad bios is beautiful thing if you get to voltage happy :p

Its a very stable board, my opinion is biased though since I havent owned any of the other boards you mentioned. P35's are great too though if you dont need CF. Ive run it with 8GB of ddr6400 no issues (with beta bios F8C)

Back