• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8 overclocking questions with P35 DS3L

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Raizy

1. Does the PCI (NOT PCIe) lock when overclocking?

2. I'm a newb at overclocking, does IDE lock too? (I'm not sure if IDE clock speeds even exist)

3. How common is the problem when the BIOS settings gets reverted back to defaults after cold booting? What causes that problem?

4. At 1333 max FSB, quad pumped would be a max FSB of 333, right? Does this mean I can use a 333Mhz FSB setting without increasing the FSB's voltage (except the CPU if overclocking)?

5. In the manual, I noticed there is FSB and (G)MCH overvoltage controls. Okay, as far as I know the FSB overvoltage is obvious, but the Northbridge? How do I know when I have to increase the voltages on it, or should I just leave it alone in?

6. SMART fan, disable or enable? Or personal preference?

7. C1T and EIST, after a stable overclock has been tested, enable them both again? If not both, one of them and if so, which one and why?

8. Any other settings I should look out for?

1)it is locked

2) see #1

3)reverting umm never had that problem...

4)thats currently the highest fsb for a stock cpu. that does not mean the highest fsb the board can do. it does mean you can oc to that from something lower on stock motherboard voltages. that does not include cpu voltage or dimm voltage.

5)you normally have to increase the MCH when the overall system is unstable. meaning you stress the cpu and its good, same thing with the ram. as when taxing the whole system increasing mch helps rid of errors. the high fsb's over 400-425 tend to need the mch increased. it might be earlier with quads but i cant say for sure since i dont have one.

6)personal prefernce, some like to use fan contorls instead of the built in fan controler on the board.

7) always disable both when ocing.... low voltage is never a good thing for the cpu when your running a high fsb. by design both C1E and EIST lower voltages and multi, even with the multi decreased. you may still have the cpu just fast enough to require a higher voltage then either "power saving" feature will give when active.

8)depends....

1. Does the PCI (NOT PCIe) lock when overclocking?

2. I'm a newb at overclocking, does IDE lock too? (I'm not sure if IDE clock speeds even exist)

3. How common is the problem when the BIOS settings gets reverted back to defaults after cold booting? What causes that problem?

4. At 1333 max FSB, quad pumped would be a max FSB of 333, right? Does this mean I can use a 333Mhz FSB setting without increasing the FSB's voltage (except the CPU if overclocking)?

5. In the manual, I noticed there is FSB and (G)MCH overvoltage controls. Okay, as far as I know the FSB overvoltage is obvious, but the Northbridge? How do I know when I have to increase the voltages on it, or should I just leave it alone in?

6. SMART fan, disable or enable? Or personal preference?

7. C1T and EIST, after a stable overclock has been tested, enable them both again? If not both, one of them and if so, which one and why?

8. Any other settings I should look out for?
1. It is locked on newer motherboard.

2. IDE is on the PCI bus, so same as #1.

3. I have never heard of that issue, sorry, that is all the information I have.

4. Yes, if it boasts 1333 (333fsb), then you can run 333 without voltage increases except maybe on the processor.

5. Well, you will know by trying. If you overclock and you just can't get past a "wall", try upping other volts (don't go too far though, just a little) and see if it gets farther in POST or does nothing. What you should do is set volts for EVERYTHING, even if you are going to run it at stock. Then you know what it will run at, otherwise the board will try and compensate when you start overclocking, which can really mess it up bad or just make it run hot where it doesn't need to.

6. Well, I like control. Mine are disabled. The only fans that I have plugged into the motherboard are the ones that are silent/have short cords so that I don't "clog" up my fan controller.

7. Nope, I would leave both off (C1E and EIST/Speedstep). They lower the multi (EIST) and voltage (C1E). It may drop the voltage too much and cause system instability. The only way to test it is to let it run idle...if it crashes, turn it off.

8. Nothing unless you go with extreme cooling (phase/dry ice/ln2).

Great answers, thanks folks. Now how about when the system goes on standby mode like ACPI Suspend, I don't have to worry about this? This won't do anything weird with the OC? There is S1 (POS) and S3 (STR).

Great answers, thanks folks. Now how about when the system goes on standby mode like ACPI Suspend, I don't have to worry about this? This won't do anything weird with the OC? There is S1 (POS) and S3 (STR).
Shouldn't be an issue. If you have issues, just use shutdown, it will only take a minute or two longer.

Back