• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions on a build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wildicedemon

First off I just want to say that i'v been having issues with heat in a computer I just built while its idling the CPU's are running 55c(max operation temp) and the GPU are at 80c

Because of that I would like to water cool it.
I have no issues with case moding etc, and I am quite handy.

The computer parts are as follows:

1 LIAN LI PC-201A Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

1 Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

2 Western Digital Caviar RE2 WD7500AYYS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

1 ASUS L1N64-SLI WS Dual L (1207FX) NVIDIA nForce 680a SLI MCP SSI CEB AMD Motherboard

2 BFG Tech BFGR88768GTXOC2E GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3

2 AMD Athlon 64 FX-74 Windsor 3.0GHz Socket F (1207 FX) 125W

1 ENERMAX Galaxy EGX1000EWL ATX12V/ EPS12V/ BTX Power Supply -

1 LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model

1 OCZ Flex XLC 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

My main concern is protecting my investment while still keeping it within a reasonable budget(max $1500). I'd like to keep the CPU around 35c and the GPUs some where close to that although it will probably be higher right so the main thing i need to know is should i use two loops? with two pumps etc or one loop also if like to use a full coverage block for the GPU's

What to you think this pc would take as far as radiators etc?

A big one... Lol. That's a lot of heat to try and dissapate, no wonder you're having issues. Your limiting factor is going to be radiator placement. You'll either need a big 3x120mm rad or two medium 2x120mm rad if you want temps that low. As for pumps, its tough to say. But with 4 blocks (two restrictive CPU's), dunno if somethin like an MCP-655 can handle that. Might be best to go with dual loops and deal with the cluster F of tubes?

Well here are few questions I have let me know if they will work.

I was thinking of useing these parts. too cool it
2x DD 8800GTX GPU Blocks
2x Swifttech Apongee GTX CPU Blocks
2x Swifttech MCP355 Pumps
1x PA 120.3 OR two if needed.
3x Fans http://www.frozencpu.com/products/4...Dynamic_Bearings_IXP-76-18.html?tl=g36c15s562
I was going to make the loops 3/8" and then put a T in the line at the end leading into the radiator in order to allow for the increased amount of flow. As to avoid any bottlenecks I was going to increase the size of the pipe from 3/8" to 1/2" to allow for the extra flow and then re-split/reduce it after the radiator. I planed to use a T-line reservoir. so it would work something like this.

Pump > CPU > GPU >-----------------------------------------> Pump
---------------------T-Join > Radiator > T-Reservoir > T-Split
Pump > CPU > GPU >-----------------------------------------> Pump

Would that radiator be enough should I get two? are those good pump do you think that this set up would work? are those fans good?

My suggesttion would be to split the loops in two. Using two Hardware Labs Black ICE GT 120.2 radiators or two Swiftech MCR220 Radiators.

Stay with the same sized tubing all the way through.

Use Tlines for filling to save space.

Each loop should contain one CPU block, and one GPU block.

So you have two loops of:

pump->CPU->GPU->Raditaor->pump

From what I understand those 8800GTX boards are real heat producers. I'd go with at least an MCR 320 and an MCR 220 (if you can fit them in). I mention the MCR's because they perform almost as well as the PA's at those fan velocities, though the PA's are better if using low-flow fans. It's your call, of course, but the MCR's are a lot less expensive.

A pair of MCP655 Vario pumps (for extra pressure and security in case of pump failure) will be sufficient to push it all. I'm running a pair of OC'ed and de-lidded s939 Opty's on Storm blocks, a 7900 GTX GPU, and two heater cores with my pair of MCP655's and I'm only using setting P3.2 (it goes up to P5). At the P3.2 setting they make no noise at all mounted on the foam pad and even at P5 you can barely hear them. Mine are external - inside a case they're probably silent at P5 if mounted properly.

For a T line I like to use a 1/2x1/2x3/4" copper T. The 3/4" T tube holds more than twice as much water as a 1/2" T tube and the system bleeds much better and faster with that 3/4" bulge in the 1/2" loop.

I like to stick with 1/2" tubing for minimum restriction and you'll need 1/2" tubing for the pump inlets/outlets anyway. But 7/16" works very well on 1/2" barbs and, for several short runs, comes out about the same (restriction-wise) as 1/2" tubing because the 1/2" tubing creates more restriciton at the 1/2" barb.

If you decide to go with 7/16" tubing and the 1/2x1/2x3/4" copper T you'll need to add 1/2" copper pipe nipples to it (NOT barbs). The 1/2" tubing fits over the flare on the T (with a little help from hot water ;)) but the 7/16" tubing won't - at least not very easily. The best way to transition from 1/2" to 7/16" tubing in your loop would be to run 1/2" tubing from the pump to the first component then start the 7/16" tubing after that component. No reason to add an adapter - just change the tubing sizes on either side of a component as required. Using this method will not hurt or lower the performance of your loop in any way.

3/8" tubing does increase restriction - not because of the tubing itself (that's minimal on short runs) but because of the 3/8" barbs you have to use with it. 3/8" barbs have 20-25% less cross-sectional area than 1/2" barbs and creates about the same amount of restriction as using 1/2" tubing on 1/2" barbs so it's a lose-lose situation.

I really like your choice of fans - I just ordered two for me! :D
>> Good call!!! :):thup:

IMO, a single loop is the best bet with the CPUs after the rads, but the coolant maintains a pretty even temp throughout the loop (only ±2°C or so) so putting the CPUs first is just a little extra oomph for them. However, keeping that in mind, there's no reason to split the loop up and create more restriction with T's and/or Y's. Those pumps will push through it all easily unless those DD GPU blocks are a LOT more restrictive than they look. I keep my pumps separated (about halfway through the loop) and near the same setting to keep a bit more stability and provide a hair more pressure. But you don't have to run them that way, they can be placed one after the other with a short separator.
For loop order I'd suggest: T-line > MCP655 > MCR320 > CPU > CPU > MCP655 > MCR220 > GPU > GPU > T-line

As I mentioned the pumps (and the rads) could be doubled up so:
T-line > MCP655 > 6"x1/2" tube > MCP655 > MCR320 > MCR220 > CPU > CPU > GPU > GPU > T-line
would also work but isn't as efficient, IMO. When in doubt make your tubing runs as short as possible so if you can't arrange the loop as shown above don't sweat it - use what works. If you get a choice, though, I'd try to follow the first loop order as close as possible.

Sorry to go-on so much but I do have experience with the double CPUs and thought I'd pass on what I've learned over the last 18 months. I'm also a pretty able DIY'er (25 years of owning a home will do that to you!) and "pretty"/"bling" is always secondary to performance. Of course, that doesn't mean it has to look ghetto. ;)

Good luck on whatever you decide and keep us posted on how it's turning out.

I'm looking forward to seeing pics of your rig when it's water-cooled ...! :)

Last edited:
I think that in the end this is what I'm going to go with.
2x PA120.3 so that i can have a quite computer most the time while still being able to get high performance out of it.

2x MCP655 I'm still not too sure about the pump but it seems that many people like this pump and they say it's quite it so ill use it.

2x Apongee GTX + the fsocket conversion ket.

2x Danger Den 8800 GTX water blocks

1/2" Tygon tubing, the clamps I can get from home depot I don't trust those plastic ones.

I'll also buy 2 T's and use distilled water + that stuff from swift tech Hydrex I think they call it.

Ill make two loops pump > radiator > CPU > GPU > T-reservoir > pump

Also one more thing I was wondering about I can use a fan controller to control the speed of those fans right? Think I'm just not to clear on that part but ill assume that I can.

I plan to run the computer as quite as possible hence the fan choice and also the radiators I don't like having to listen to the fans all day long I sill planed to leave the other fans in the case except I'm going to change them to low dB fans same ones ill be using on the radiator. With this set up I'm hoping to have a near silent computer with the ability to over clock if/when I desire it. It'll be problem's 3-4 weeks till i have all the part's once i start ill make sure to take some photos and let you all it. we computer nuts like to stare at pictures of computers nearly as much as we like to tinker with them lol.

Now I'm off to do research on vista ultimate and see if it worth buying.

One note on the clamps, you might want to try the autoparts store instead. If they have screw clamps w/brass screws those are the best. I've had some issues with clamps that have steel screws - they tend to slip or go sideways when they get snug ...

Back