• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Idea for water flow monitoring

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ben333

Folding for Team 32!
I was considering a flow meter but I know that they kill the flow a lot and are not worth it in the end. then I thought of the idea of using say one part motor oil to 20 parts the rest of the coolant. The oil, being oil would not mix with the water and with my clear tubes I would be able to see the oil moving through the system. I don't think it would strain temps much if at all, damage parts or restrict flow so my question is: is there any reason not to try it?

could work but wouldnt it just find somewhere to settle in the res or t-line?

Well i was thinking that it would hit a non moving part of the system (top of my tline res)
Here is my custom tline:
tlinepvcres.jpg
So, if I add enough oil so it fills the neck of the tline and hits into the flowing part I will know that the oil will move I think.

Judging by the flow of my pump at full blast while there is still some air in the system I don't think I'd be able to notice such a small amount of oil traveling through the lines. The bubbles manage to stay extremely small and separated. If the flow was significantly slower I might be able to notice it but that would defeat the point.

This idea would work if the water in your loop moved at a velocity of 1gph.

The turbulence from the componnts in your WC loop would cause the oil to break down in micro-bubbles, and, thus giving the water a milky appearance. (More or less what satandole666 said.)

I speak from experience.

under pressure/heat, water will combine with oil.

not sure how much pressure it needs to do so, but its not worth the risk. plus it would get stuck in the blocks

There are ways to show flow w/o adding restriction. I forget what its technically called, but you can use the siphon(well, something similar too it) effect to show flow rate. When you change velocities it will exert a different vacume on a t-line. So put two different sized tlines to make a half circle and the flow will cause an imbalance in the fluid level in the simicircle...

Back