• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Emergency: Abit IP35-Pro woes.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zrrbite

Registered
Hey all,

I just thought i'd get a second oppinion on this.

I think my IP35-Pro may be dead. I was installing windows on a WD Raptor HD and during a windows update, crucial windows processes started failing and the system ultimately rebooted.

After the reboot, i was able to POST and make it as far as booting up windows before i was met with a BSOD: INVALID_PROCESS_DETACH_ATTEMPT. When i rebooted, i was met with a "BIOS ROM checksum error" message. I tried switching sockets for the RAM (2x1 Gb blocks) which worked, and when i tried reinstalling windows i was met with yet another BSOD. All subsequent reboots have resulted in "BIOS ROM checksum error". I've tried disconnecting all "irrelevant" hardware to no avail.

Some background:

The system (in my sig) is not OC'ed. It's running at stock speeds. I was experiencing some instability in the beginning so i flashed the bios with v.14, but there hasn't been any problems at all.

Does anyone have similar experiences. How could the BIOS get screwed up during basic windows operation?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds to me that you are experiencing corruption from either the RAM or HDD or both. As a result it appears to have corrupted your CMOS settings, BIOS settings or both.

Clear CMOS and if that doesnt do it go ahead and get a floppy to flash / hotflash the mobo back up then verify that your RAM and HDD is functioning properly

That's excactly what i did, and it worked. It's been up and running for a while now.

When i threw in my old RAM, the mobo posted and told me that the CMOS checksum was corrupted... a step up from BIOS ROM corruption. I reset the CMOS and everything was running fine. I think the system stability and corruption issues might've arissen due to lack of power, so i've upped the juice and it seems to work.

Going to take back the ram. They are not stable at the recommended 1.9v.

That's excactly what i did, and it worked. It's been up and running for a while now.

When i threw in my old RAM, the mobo posted and told me that the CMOS checksum was corrupted... a step up from BIOS ROM corruption. I reset the CMOS and everything was running fine. I think the system stability and corruption issues might've arissen due to lack of power, so i've upped the juice and it seems to work.

Going to take back the ram. They are not stable at the recommended 1.9v.

:bday: Good deal, ya I had a feeling the RAM was to blame. Very glad you have your PC up and running

The board is probably having problems since day 1 so RMA would be the right thing to do.

try the other dimm slots on the board, also double check the ram ratio you are using. not sure which one your on but you want on the 1:1.5 if your running 266fsb. also problems can happen with ram timings set to auto, manually set them.

I left a post on other thread but 1.9v is not spec for that ram. Its 2.10 volts

Thanks for your response :) I failed to mention that it's not C4, but C5. They're specced at 1.9V according to the RAM block itself.

try the other dimm slots on the board, also double check the ram ratio you are using. not sure which one your on but you want on the 1:1.5 if your running 266fsb. also problems can happen with ram timings set to auto, manually set them.

I've tried other dimm slots and i pass memtest86+ just fine with several different combinations of voltage/dividers. I was running at 1:1.5, but I'm currently stable at 1:1, 5-5-5-12 manual timings, 1.950V manually set. It still puzzles me tho. I'll see what happens when i start OC'ing it. If it bums out, i'm going to flush the ram out the airlock and get some Crucial Ballistix.

I still don't know if it's the RAM or it's the board. Maybe a biosupdate would help.

Code:
BIOS: m629b11.zip  

Bios Issue Date:2007/07/09
Mirror Site: ASIA Europe US 
BIOS ID:11

1. Support CL=3.
   2. [I][B][U]Enhanced compatibility with certain memories.[/U][/B][/I]
   3. Support Command Rate adjusting function.
   4. Update Jmicron BIOS to V1.06.69.
   5. BIOS compiled date: 07/09/2007

Thanks again.

Last edited:
I would be more inclined to think its the ram.

Me too. I'm going to try some different sticks when i can. But for now it's stable at a slightly higher voltage. We'll see what happens. The ram was pretty cheap so i'll just trash it if it gives me any trouble. Take that, Corsair! :sn:

Back