• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

!!!Once again!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

narcotis

I am planning on ordering either the Striker Extreme, or the EVGA 680i in a week and am not sure which will be better, the $$ is not the issue.

Can some of you give me FACTS ONLY why one board is better than the other...

I have read all the posts that are filled with opinions I DO NOT WANT OPINIONS on which is better but all i want are the FACTS.

I will be overclocking on the board...
the chip will be either a core 2 duo or core 2 quad.....
i am planning on a raid 0 with 2X WD raptor x's

and is it really a bad idea to run your raid off the mobo??? can i have some advice on that as well please???

If anyone wants or needs any more info please feel free to ask, the mobo is about the only thing i cant decide on, and its dur to all the OPINIONS of everyone

I am planning on ordering either the Striker Extreme, or the EVGA 680i in a week and am not sure which will be better, the $$ is not the issue.

Can some of you give me FACTS ONLY why one board is better than the other...

I have read all the posts that are filled with opinions I DO NOT WANT OPINIONS on which is better but all i want are the FACTS.

I will be overclocking on the board...
the chip will be either a core 2 duo or core 2 quad.....
i am planning on a raid 0 with 2X WD raptor x's

and is it really a bad idea to run your raid off the mobo??? can i have some advice on that as well please???

If anyone wants or needs any more info please feel free to ask, the mobo is about the only thing i cant decide on, and its dur to all the OPINIONS of everyone

This is not a very good way to get responses....no one has many concrete facts, all they can really do is offer opinions....your are going to have to decide.:confused:

What type of overclocking will you be doing? DICE/LN2/Phase/Water/Air?
What case will you be putting this into?
How much are willing to tweak? Adjusting EVERY memory variable? Dealing with voltage mods?
How much memory are going to be installing?
Are fully decided on SLI or do you think CF will also be an option?
Will you be using the onboard RAID controller or will you buying a separate card?

Best way for us to give you facts, is for you to give facts of want you want; not just broad statements of intentions.

Wow Bryan_d..... i don't even know what half of that means lol

i have never overclocked, just read a lot about it. so i guess it depends on how far my system will let me go.

i am planning on the antec ninehundred case, or thermaltake armor full tower. i will be watercooling the CPU and VGA for sure shortly down the road befor i overclock

the memory will be 4Gigs to start, would like 8Gigs in there

I want to go SLI, what is CF???

is onboard raid0 ok do do on the mobo, caus i dont want to spend a huge ammount of money on a raid card??

i Guess all i am looking for is to get a decent overclock that is stable, and the higher i can go the better i would like to push to the absolute limits after i fully understand everything but the only way i can do that is to have hands on experiance.

is onboard raid0 ok do do on the mobo, caus i dont want to spend a huge ammount of money on a raid card??

Why that much ram? Are you going to be using a 64bit OS? You realize that the more ram you stuff in the less desirable your OC results will be.....

CF is Crossfire, basically SLI only with ATI cards instead of NVidia.
Onboard RAID works great under Intel boards.

You don't wanna get a quad if you're going for a nvidia motherboard, they hardly OC over 3.2Ghz.

I've heard nvidia boards has problems with 4sticks of ram? Can anyone confirm this?

CF is crossfire (ati cards).

What i'v seen the silicon image on the SLI-boars isn't any good. The best onboard raid chipsets is on the intel boards, ICHxR.

It sounds like you should go for an intel (p35 or x38) board with all your requirements.
What do you need dual graphics cards for anyways?

oh lol no i will be going Nvidia all the way, not a big ATI fan

i want SLI for the performance in gaming which my rig is for, and i want have the best i can and SLI also for the sake of "i got that" lol

as far as the more ram the less overclockability can someone explain that, yes the OS will be 64 Bit

Well, if you're going for a quad with one of those mobos you'll never get a high clock anyway. So the ram will probably not be a problem.
More sticks, less OC abillity, It's always been like that. Since i can't remember :)

oh lol no i will be going Nvidia all the way, not a big ATI fan

i want SLI for the performance in gaming which my rig is for, and i want have the best i can and SLI also for the sake of "i got that" lol

as far as the more ram the less overclockability can someone explain that, yes the OS will be 64 Bit

When you overclock an Intel CPU, you are increasing the FSB, which is the communication via the Memory Controller. At higher FSB, this becomes an issue with using larger amounts of ram, especially using 4 slots versus 2.

Quads don't overclock well on 680i boards - tried 2 different quads on two different boards and that was the result. Dual cores work fine.

RAID off the boards works fine till you change to a new board that uses a different RAID controller then you get to rebuild the RAID. Using a RAID card is a solution to that problem but it costs money. Been using an Areca card for several years on ~dozen different boards.

All based on results I've experienced.

I hav zee Striker

I also hav an oven of a Q6600

Overclocking wise, I think it could be better

It really is expensive, and probably not for when you're just gaming and starting out overclocking

You're just wasting your money on this board if you dont know what you're doing

a P35 or X38 board would be much better I think, unless u need SLI, but with the BIOS in my sig, you can have Crossfire too :)
Only with the Striker Extreme tho

if you want SLI, you have to go the Nv board. If you want a higher overclock with the rest of your system, then get P35. IMHO, get a P35. SLI is inefficient at both power consumption and bang for your buck. I want it too, but its just not worth it...

I've heard nvidia boards has problems with 4sticks of ram? Can anyone confirm this?
i'm not going to say i can confirm it, but that was my experience. BSOD when i tried to run 1:1 or it didn't even POST at all.

my q6600 would not oc past 3.2GHz stable. 3.4GHz was unstable and anything higher would not POST... but plenty of people do post threads all over this forum and others about getting 3.6GHz+ on 680i. it just isn't a given that your quad will do well. some do, some don't.

regardless, i returned the XFX 680i board in my sig (XFX nForce 680i SLI MB-N680-ISH9) on saturday. if you really want SLI performance, i say get the most powerful single card on the market... the 8800 Ultra imo. that's what i've decided to do:

abit ip35 pro instead of xfx 680i
evga 8800 ultra instead of two xfx 8800GT

Last edited:
I ran 4 sticks (see link), no problem.

I don't have real experience but have seen it in reviews that one top of the line video card performs better that two cheaper ones in SLI. To see real performance improvements you need two top of the line cards. Too rich for my blood so I can't swear to it.

Thanks for the info all of you. so would i be better getting 2 sticks of 2Gig ram vs. 4 sticks of 1 Gig ram???

or 1 stick of 2Gig or 2 sticks of 1 Gig??

Thanks for the info all of you. so would i be better getting 2 sticks of 2Gig ram vs. 4 sticks of 1 Gig ram???

or 1 stick of 2Gig or 2 sticks of 1 Gig??

not speaking from experience, but everything i've read while researching that question for myself said, "two sticks is better than four". so, if you want 4GB of RAM i'd say get a 2x2GB kit. The G.SKILL in my sig was highly regarded around here and XS, so that's what I went with.

I actually got two 2x1GB kits, and before I even had the rest of my parts I decided I wanted 8GB and ordered two 2x2GB kits. So, i've got the parts to do the comparisons. unfortunately, I haven't had time to test this yet.

someday i will. but besides, I'm no guru here. so, whatever I determine will not be very scientific evidence on which people should base their purchasing decisions. I'm just going to figure out what works for me... lots of photo/video editing, some high res gaming and basic email/web use.

Wow Bryan_d..... i don't even know what half of that means lol

i have never overclocked, just read a lot about it. so i guess it depends on how far my system will let me go.

i am planning on the antec ninehundred case, or thermaltake armor full tower. i will be watercooling the CPU and VGA for sure shortly down the road befor i overclock

i Guess all i am looking for is to get a decent overclock that is stable, and the higher i can go the better i would like to push to the absolute limits after i fully understand everything but the only way i can do that is to have hands on experiance.

If you haven't OC'ed before, expect to experience BSODs and possibly a corrupted Windows.

The BSODs to be on the lookout for are:

The processor core:

STOP: 0x0000009C MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

-or-

STOP: 0x0000000A IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The RAM or bus:

STOP: 0x00000050 PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA

-or-

STOP: 0x0000004E PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

It took tons of experience to get out of that mess.

Back