• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chilling water? And using tecs in conjunction with WC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oc1Kenube

Just bored and need a little project since i finished my loop, you all know how it is, so i though why not see if there is anyway to chill the water to reduce temps preferably a permanent mod no buckets of ice here lol, so can it be done to a regular loop in any way and also is it worth looking in to tec's to add to the loop and if so where are good places to look?

I'm interested in doing this as well. Not looking to go sub-zero, just around 10-20c load would be amazing. I need something aesthetically pleasing cause of the live in girlfriend.

Oh yeah definately not wanting miracles heck 30c-40c load would be a result for me (Very hot living room you see)

I'm assuming you could use TEC cooling with the proper CPU waterblock and rad, but I'm not really comfortable with the amount of power they pull. Their has to be something a bit more power efficient, even if it is a lot messier.

EDIT: I don't think the OPs WCing loop (120x1 rad) has the cooling capacity to use a TEC on the CPU block itself. He'd need another method of cooling the TEC outside of the loop IMO.

Could you use the TEC and remove the fans off the rad so its more quiet?

You could also reduce the speed of the pump so it dont generate as much heat.

Could you use the TEC and remove the fans off the rad so its more quiet?

How would that work? I can't picture it in my head.

Are you saying to put the TEC on the CPU directly and go fanless on the rad? Or are you saying put the TEC somewhere on the rad (cold side) and take the fans off? How would you cool the TEC then?

You could try using many low power tec's on your rad, A passive heatsink should be all that is needed for a low power tec.. Not sure if it would work though.

To chill the water with TECs would be difficult without a good heat exchanger. Using both in a loop in series would be counterproductive: TEC would cool the water, radiator would heat it up once water reached below ambient. The only logical way would be to have the TEC cool the cpu, and the loop cool the TEC. There is not much to it. Figure out how many watts of heat your cpu is putting out, and get a higher rated TEC and power supply for it. Lastly get some insulation, grease, and a frosty beverage.

I get some of my TECs from HERE

To chill the water with TECs would be difficult without a good heat exchanger. Using both in a loop in series would be counterproductive: TEC would cool the water, radiator would heat it up once water reached below ambient. The only logical way would be to have the TEC cool the cpu, and the loop cool the TEC. There is not much to it. Figure out how many watts of heat your cpu is putting out, and get a higher rated TEC and power supply for it. Lastly get some insulation, grease, and a frosty beverage.

I get some of my TECs from HERE

Did you have to use a second PSU to power your TECs? The added need for insulation, cold block, and extra power is a large turnoff for me.

Im talking 1 tec on my cpu and im actually running dual 120.1 rads a swiftech and a thermochill is this possible worth it?

<Edit> Looked in to bongs too but the are not an option as i dont have room and have a young family.

Im talking 1 tec on my cpu and im actually running dual 120.1 rads a swiftech and a thermochill is this possible worth it?

I'm not a TEC expert, but I think you'd need to run a separate PSU to power the TEC. Factor that in the with cost of the extra electricity and you would have to determine if it is worth it to you. I believe you can get sub-zero temps if you cool your TECs properly. I'm pretty sure a cold block is recommended also.

EDIT: Another consideration is that it should raise the temp in the loop significantly as you are dumping in the extra heat from the TEC. Since you watercool your GPU that is another thing to think about.

EDIT #2: So are there no good ways to actually chill water inside your case? I've got a ton of room in the bottom of my case if I remove my 120.3 rad.

Chill water how? i can make room

I'm not a heating and cooling expert, but I think the proper part name is an evaporator. You can submerge that into water (coolers seem quite popular). When ran the evap will lower the temperature of the coolant significantly, which you pump through your loop.

I don't know how to make it small enough to fit in a computer case though. Also, please correct me if the proper part isn't an evaporator.

I'm not a heating and cooling expert, but I think the proper part name is an evaporator. You can submerge that into water (coolers seem quite popular). When ran the evap will lower the temperature of the coolant significantly, which you pump through your loop.

I don't know how to make it small enough to fit in a computer case though. Also, please correct me if the proper part isn't an evaporator.

in think thats called phase change cooling, but dont quote me on it though as im not sure, should be some info on it in the extreme cooling section

in think thats called phase change cooling, but dont quote me on it though as im not sure, should be some info on it in the extreme cooling section

It uses the same components as phase change, actually. Instead of directly cooling the CPU though you cool the water that flows through the loop. I've seen a few people building them before, I need to find a link to one.

slap the TEC on a water block and a heatsink on the hot side of the TEC

Back