• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

???Are kits bad???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

narcotis

I have been told that buying a Kit is a bad way to go.

Is this true? are there brands to stay away from??

I like Danger Den but there a bit pricey, but i am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for"

Swiftech and DD both make good kits. "Kits are bad" is a blanket statement, but mostly true. Most of us have pretty much the same parts you will find in the better kits, or a mixture of the two vendors.

Just as an example, I use Swiftech's MCP655 pump and MCRES Micro Reservoir; and DD's TDX, Maze4 GPU, BIXII rad. These give me a 2-3C difference between CPU idle and load temps when ambient is below 30C.

most of the time kits are bad, if you are really set on getting a kit you should look for a swiftech one

and i will say this even though it has already been posted, STAY AWAY FROM THERMALTAKE KITS

Go to petrastechshop.com. They have some custom kits that are pretty good. Most of them are very similar to the swiftech kits. You can also add Koolance to you avoid at all costs lists.

Go to petrastechshop.com. They have some custom kits that are pretty good. Most of them are very similar to the swiftech kits. You can also add Koolance to you avoid at all costs lists.

QFT

OP, concerning "You get what you pay for": Usually this is a truism. Some of those kits on the blacklist developing in this thread are grossly overpriced.

One good way to tell if the kit is good or not is the price, but I urge you to consider some other factors.

• Is the company who's name is on the label in the business of performance watercooling? Or are they known for other products?
  • Is the tubing narrow- 3/8"(Inner diameter)? Or wide- 1/2"?
  • Are the tubes attached in a manner that is more or less permanent? Or are you supplied with a coil of tubing and fasteners?
  • Does it look like they tried to save money in R&D or materials? Or does it look like a quality, Hi-Tech solution?
  • Do the products fare well in this thread? Or not?

The Swiftech and DD "Kits" are basically just preselected components, that we would tend to recomend here.

If you ar elooking for an EASY to setup, although high performnce "Kit". Chekc out Swiftechs "COMPacts Kits, I would recomend the 220.

my first WC setup was an older swiftech kit. didn't take long for me to set my own up, and the only part i kept from it was the waterblock.

H20-220 from swiftech puts it down. I've added a MCW60 for my GTS and I ended up going to a thermochill pa120.3 rad, but honestly it didnt make a ton of difference, out of the box the kit cooled the whole enchilada pretty well, i got like 3-4C lower going to the big daddy thermochill.

Kits are only as good or as bad as their components. Thermaltake and Koolance are a waste of your money.

Petras tech shop is a good place to buy from as he basically just puts together parts and sells them as a kit.

But don't let the whole watercooling thing keep you from being willing to put together your own. It really isn't that hard, and there are a frequent "check out my parts list" threads that you can reference to see what other people are buying and are being recommended.

And you have to decide what parts to get based on your budget, your cooling needs, and how much silence/performance you are looking to achieve. These all factor in to what you buy.

Thanks, i went to the Danger Den website and put together a list of components, i havent looked at there kits yet, would a DD kit be ok if i see one i like??

What do you all mean when you say "custom" parts from different manufactures, or seperate parts from one manufacturer??

Custom generally means a mix & match of different manufacturers, but you could do a custom kit from one manufacturer like you're doing from Danger Den. The only risk you're taking is that you could forget to order a part or enough of one part, usually hose clamps or tubing.

Thanks, i went to the Danger Den website and put together a list of components, i havent looked at there kits yet, would a DD kit be ok if i see one i like??

What do you all mean when you say "custom" parts from different manufactures, or seperate parts from one manufacturer??

The DD kits are just preselected components. Basically pretty much everything you are most likely going to order anyway. Chances are any package you put together of their parts will closely ressemble one of their kits.

Back