• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

??Can't decide??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

narcotis

So i am having a lot of trouble deciding on the mobo for my gaming rig

what would be your first choice of these 2 boards

EVGA 680i SLi (A1 or T1)

Asus Striker Extreme

Thanks again, i want to order my board in the next day or 2

i built a rig for my friend with the asus striker and it was a pain. the mobo would not even turn on. took 2 rma's from newegg before it worked right. now, after it works, great board, but getting it there is hit or miss i guess.

OK, we need to know a few things before we can give you some decent advice otherwise it is just like shooting in the dark :)

Do you need X-Fire or SLI capabilities?
Do you plan on running a Penryn (E8### or Q9### series 45nm) CPU or E6### / Q6### series Core 2 duo/quad CPU's?
Is raid important?
What is your budget?

What CPU, graphics card do you already have?

Let's go from there...

*edit : I see you already have another thread going on the exactly the same question, maybe you should only run one at a time

i Want to start ordering the components in the next 2 or 3 days. yes i want to run Sli,

2X nvidia 8800GT

As for the processor, i want to know what the best C2D is for overclocking to 3.0+ on water...

I want raid but do not necicarly need it, i guess i would say i would rather have it then not, atleast the posibility that is..

680i A1 board with E6750...

though i would suggest a P35 based board with the 9800GX2. which seems to be around the same cost as 2 8800GT's.

^^ As he said, if you wiat untill the end of the month you can get a CPU based on the new Penryn 45nm architecture that would yield above 4 GHz for around $210 (E8400)
As the SLI boards are not the best for overclocking and SLI in most cases not worth it, get the dual 9800GT as Dr Evil said which is 2 x 8800GT's on one frame, otherise get the 8800GTS which is pretty similiar to one GT but with better OC potential

What price range are you looking at for CPU + motherboard + Graphics card?

Back