• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UV sterilizer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The amount of additives, like 4 drops of fish biocide isn't much additive, maybe a 'bit' of good antifreeze. The UV lights are meant to be used 24/7. Every time it's turned off/on it takes a big hit in longevity. It uses power, not sure how much. It adds more hose, bad for flow. And it adds heat to the loop.

Peeps use distilled water and top off the water with a drop of bio every few months on a well made loop. Keep it simple. Go with what the pros have done for ages, you'll be fine.

You could run Tygon silver tubing?

I'm currently running what was recommended but I was just exploring maybe a new way to go about it. I didn't think about the turn on and turn off on the light that is a good point. I also wonder if these dissipate much heat into the water.:)

They do dissipate heat into the water.

In an aquarium it isnt much of a deal because you have 5+ gallons of water (and a 1F jump or so), the water can evaporate to cool off the tank (in certain situations) but in a closed loop the excess heat is not dissipated quickly enough to avoid it affecting the temp of the GPU etc.

Don't expose the tubes to direct sunlight, change your coolant every so often. All you reall yneed to do.

Hec kI run strait up distilled water + some UV dye for looks. No anti freeze, no biocides. Empy the coolant once a month, pour down the drain, replace coolant, and go.

Back