• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X38, or P35?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Charr

I am looking at getting a new board, but am stumped at this point. I have been looking at X38 and P35 parts. My requirements are pretty simple, as I am looking at high CPU OC (550 FSB). I don't really need RAID at this point, and will be running a single 8800GT down the road, I have a 7900GT now. I know the X38 is capable of these speeds, but what about the P35?

x38 might be better choice, pci express 2.0, better memory controler in my opinion, might be easier to oc. Though it all depends on cpu, and 550 fsb is high.

Already got a beastly E6550, and I am really itching to get off this 680i. Thanks for the advice though!

Anybody have any really good clocking with a P35 board?

Either board is comparable in FSB overclocking, with the P35 slightly higher for benching but both capable of maxing the cpu out. You likely will recieve the same results with either board with what you plan on doing. I would simply buy the cheaper choice and sit on it for a while. I have downgraded from the x38 back to the P35, simply because the newer boards haven't matured enough yet.

If you don't need X-fire get a good P35 board like the Abit IP35 Pro or around $150 with rebate, the PC-e 2.0 will only come to play when the G100 cores come out in late 2nd , early 3Q-08

P35's are cheaper and will do exactly what you want.

I bought an X38 because I intended to go crossfire, I can't really think of any other reason to spend the extra money.

Do P35 boards go over 500? I don't see anyone that has done this, is that because only the more hardcore overclockers grab the X38?

Me answering my own question:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=161618&highlight=p35
Windwithme got a P35 up to 560MHz.

One more question: Is the heatsink on P5E actually copper? I know that the "copper" on the L1N64 is actually aluminum. I'm tempted to grab a P5E, because I have a whole lot of 120's sitting right over my mainboard.

Edit:
Or is this extra cooling negated by the extra heat output?

Also, your input is appreciated!

Last edited:
Do P35 boards go over 500? I don't see anyone that has done this, is that because only the more hardcore overclockers grab the X38?

Me answering my own question:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=161618&highlight=p35
Windwithme got a P35 up to 560MHz.

One more question: Is the heatsink on P5E actually copper? I know that the "copper" on the L1N64 is actually aluminum. I'm tempted to grab a P5E, because I have a whole lot of 120's sitting right over my mainboard.

Yes it is copper as far as I know
If you are not going to do cross-fire get a P35 board

By the way, I have raised this question before. Be sure to find it out! I know it is troublesome though.

I am looking at getting a new board, but am stumped at this point. I have been looking at X38 and P35 parts. My requirements are pretty simple, as I am looking at high CPU OC (550 FSB). I don't really need RAID at this point, and will be running a single 8800GT down the road, I have a 7900GT now. I know the X38 is capable of these speeds, but what about the P35?

going 550fsb safe bet x38.
Might do it with p35 but with that option I go x38.

Back