• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Decisions, decisions, decisions....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jas

Ok, well for those of you who know me, it will come as no suprise that I plan to tear down and rebuild my loop yet again (yes I know, what's my standing record for leaving my loop alone, 30 days?).

So, Like usual i'm sitting around with all kinds of ideas. But as always there is a budget concern.... So, lets say I have ~ $100 to spend on new equipment, if any.

1st consideration. I am still running a D4 pump. It's a work horse, rock solid reliability, but it's loud as hell. My wife keeps complaining about how loud my pc is. Should I just replace the pump with a D5?

2nd consideration. I am currently running a dual radiator setup. A 77' bonny core in the front drive bay (Shrouded), and a BIX 120.1 on the rear exaust (shrouded). Cooling is top notch, but that is because of the shrouds and the massive panaflo pulling over 115 CFM through the BIX, (which is crazy loud). The plumbing is less than ideal, and I would love to clean this up. Shoudl I purchase a 120.3 radiator, move my hard drives into the rear cage (which has a wierd placement and might block some airflow to the PSU), and mount the 120.3 in the front?

Ok so, what to do? Do I buy a new pump? Or do I buy a new radiator? Or any other suggestions?

Save yourself some grief...........

Attachments

• Case Layout.jpg
    Case Layout.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 79
New pump, I like my mcp350.
as for the radiator, Why do you even have the second one, 2-302's are huge and should more than handle anything out there at the moment.

New pump, I like my mcp350.
as for the radiator, Why do you even have the second one, 2-302's are huge and should more than handle anything out there at the moment.

Well you know, nothing like having idle temps 1c above ambient and watching your graphics card not even register on the temp monitor.

It's over kill I know, but I liek experimenting with various setups. I actually considered putting two 2-302 cores in here...

Right now I'm thinking I'll replace the D4 with a D5. That will make the biggest difference as far as noise goes.

Personally I would move to the PA120.3...which is a little more than the $100...unless you know where I can get a deal like that as well :D

I think the cooling the PA120.3 will give you in the future is far greater than a D5 will give you...even though it is quieter the insane fan you have has to be louder than the D4 you currently have.

The PA120.3 will also allow you to run modest fans (60-70cfm) which will lower your decibels and make the wife happy which we both know is always a good thing to do.

I would get the pump as the D4 is enough to drive anyone crazy. If you show progress on something that your wife has specifically mentioned as bothering her, then maybe she will not complain as much as if you then do the rad/fans.

I would get the pump as the D4 is enough to drive anyone crazy. If you show progress on something that your wife has specifically mentioned as bothering her, then maybe she will not complain as much as if you then do the rad/fans.

LoL. My buddy owns a D4 and I don't think it is as annoying as his loud fans...but if the pump annoys her more than the fan on your radiator...I would change the pump.

Well both Valid points, but here's the catch, right now yo ucan't hear the Pump because I have a jet engine for an exaust out the bakc of the case. If I turn the panaflo down, or replace it with a quieter fan, then the D4 becomes anoying loud.

Replacing the D4 with a a D5 would allow me to turn the panaflo down at least, and over all quiet down the computer.

The PA series of radiators are great, but I'm not keen on spending ~$120 on a radiator when I know I can put heater cores in my system for $15, and I can buy a HW or swiftech rad for ~$50.

Right now I'm leaning heavily towards replacing the D4.

And then 3 weeks tt a month after that buying a new radiator.

And then 3 weeks to a month after that completely redoing the loop again for no apparnt good reason, maybe run some hard copper lines??????

dang it!, me and my ideas.....

Back