• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFlow radiator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah those conversions are a pain in the butt. Trying to find one that will do calries to watts. Everything wants to go to joules.

Yeah those conversions are a pain in the butt. Trying to find one that will do calories to watts. Everything wants to go to joules.

Thats because calories and joules are units of energy, while watts is a unit of power. You need to convert calories/hour to watts not just calories.

1,732.5 (kilocalories/hour) = 2,013.55 watts I think.

I estimate it can only cool like 180-210 or so watts...I may be wrong in my guesstimation.

I am cooling a Q6600 with 1.375v and at 3.33Ghz...I estimate that to be around top end for this 3x radiator (i am only using 2 fans...no shroud...each with around 65cfm)...am I wrong in these calculations? I used the innovatek heat output for my B3 and it says at max I could be producing 165w of heat.

Well, using the number you gave above.

(1732.5)(kcal/h) x (4.184)(J/cal) x (1/3600)(h/s) = 2.01355 (kJ/s) = 2013.55 W

My brain hates math today.

But you also have to consider at what kind of air flow is that measured at? Is that just passive? If they strap 3 deltas or panaflos to it, and start cranking 400+ cfm through it, and then measur eit, yeah you get a big number.

It's still a damn good radiator.

I agree, 2000 watts sounds ridiculous. It is possible that the number is a complete lie. More likely though, is that it was calculated from the surface area and thermal conductivity of the materials used. The amount of heat transfer depends greatly on airflow, coolant velocity and the temperature delta between the coolant, the radiator, and the air passing over it. If the temp difference between the coolant and the air was a hundred degrees, dumping 2000 watts of heat wouldn't be a big deal. However, when its only a few degrees, the numbers fall pretty quickly.
Making a calculation for the heat transfer of a PC radiator using only thermodynamics is pretty much pointless. There are too many variations between installations to come up with a number that is useful.

I agree, 2000 watts sounds ridiculous. It is possible that the number is a complete lie. More likely though, is that it was calculated from the surface area and thermal conductivity of the materials used. The amount of heat transfer depends greatly on airflow, coolant velocity and the temperature delta between the coolant, the radiator, and the air passing over it. If the temp difference between the coolant and the air was a hundred degrees, dumping 2000 watts of heat wouldn't be a big deal. However, when its only a few degrees, the numbers fall pretty quickly.
Making a calculation for the heat transfer of a PC radiator using only thermodynamics is pretty much pointless. There are too many variations between installations to come up with a number that is useful.

Couldn't have said it better. That's why all the side by side comparisons are so invaluable. They can actually give you a real world picture.

@ OP

I REALLY wouldn't worry about your radiator being able to handle the heat ouput though.

A single pass radiator is not the greatest...as I have learned since I began watercooling a few weeks ago :D

When I add my graphics card to the mix...I think I will be pushing my limits with this. Also the radiator is extremely restrictive when it comes to airflow. I think I am going to purchase the Swiftech MCR320-QP and radbox (for mounting) just to quiet this thing. I wanted to go water for cooling and quietness :D

Back