• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New High Wattage TEC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

THE JEW (RaVeN)

Well, it's new to me anyways:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gigantic-62mm-5...oryZ4660QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"Gigantic 62mm - 545 Watt Thermoelectric Peltier Cooler" by Thermal Enterprises:

http://myworld.ebay.com/thermalenterprises/

It says it runs 0-16 volts. Seeing as how 12v Meanwell's seem to be more popular in the classifieds, this might be of use to a few people. Tuning might also be easier as 12v is already 75% of it's max. Most 12v Meanwell's I know of go down to 9.5v or 10v so you're already at that 2/3 area.

Either way, there's now a fairly cheap and accessible high wattage pelt alternative to the 437 24v one.

What are you planning to cool that with????

545w is WAY more than any cooling system (except for maybe a particularly large bong) can handle

We're talking about more load than 4 (four) q6600s

Well, that's 545w of power draw, not cooling power.

Maximum power consumption 545 Watts

I forget what it works out to, but it won't be near that much cooling power.

For example, if we're to believe the TEC charts at XS on this company's 320 watt TEC, we can see that at 75% voltage there's a significant drop in wattage:

320 watt / 14 VMax / 26 IMax (these numbers were given to me by NoL, so if they're wrong, yell at him, not me)
5 volts: 40.8 watts; 9.3 amps
6 volts: 58.7 watts; 11.1 amps
7 volts: 80 watts; 13 amps
8 volts: 104.5 watts; 14.9 amps
9 volts: 132.2 watts; 16.7 amps
10 volts: 163.3 watts; 18.6 amps
11 volts: 197.6 watts; 20.4 amps
12 volts: 235.1 watts; 22.3 amps
13 volts: 275.9 watts; 24.1 amps
14 volts: 320 watts; 26 amps

So running this one at 12v would be 75% of its max voltage. So, let's pull a number out of our butts and say that gives us roughly 2/3 of its max watts (so roughly 363 watts). That would be power draw so let's pull another number out of our butts and say there's around 250 to 300 watts of cooling power when you you're drawing around 363 watts of power.

That's just enough to bring an overclocked quad (ie. 250 watts) to ambient.

Not as efficient as phase, but still worth a look for monkeying around.

i dont get it whats that used for?

A TEC?

It stands for Thermal Electric Exchange. Pretty much in a nut shell. One side is hot, one is cold from the Peltier Effect. Why it is called a pelt. (We use the cold side on our electronics.)

It goes in between your cooling device and CPU or GPU. To make things chilly if you happen to toss enough voltage at it. Hence the discussion of voltages. It enhances cooling. Usually the hot side is cooled with a water cooling setup.

A lot of mini fridges use this same tech. It just happens to work alright in computers too. Just not the mini fridge pelts. Not enough voltage is used for our needs.

Last edited:
Its less efficienct because of that in a way. Less adjustability range, and higher amperage on your wires.

Back