• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old School Hardware + New School Components

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCuci

Registered
Wow, it's been a LONG time since I last posted...

Anyway, as the title says, I have a ton of old-school WC components that have been collecting dust since I left school and started working for The Man (TM). I'm now in a place where I'll finally have the time and space to put my system together but all of my PC components are now hopelessly obsolete. I was hoping if anyone could provide some insight as to whether or not it's possible to get my WC parts to work with the latest hardware. Here are the main parts:

Little River Storm G4 CPU Waterblock
Danger Den Acetal MAZE4 GPU Waterblock
Black Weapon Heatercore+Shroud (2-fan size)
Danger Den DDC 12V Pump
Swiftech NForce2 Northbridge Heatsink+Fan
Tubing, clamps and all that jazz...

I'm looking to build a system around an AMD Phenom Quad-Core CPU, AM2+ Mobo and a high quality Radeon HD video card (or two with another GPU block, since the MAZE4 is still available). These were top of the line when I bought them and they're probably still highly regarded in terms of quality so I'm not looking to sell them off. I just want to know if they'll give me too much trouble to try using at this point with brand new hardware. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Maze4 are the $h*t (in a good way)

They should still work with everything except the G80 cards, so don't worry

Most Storms shipped with the AM2 hold down plate so you should be good there. If you don't have it you can get it at Jab-Tech for like 10 bucks.

Not sure about the NB cooler, but the 790fx seems to be running pretty cool and most of the 790fx boards come with pretty elaborate NB cooling, so you probably don't need to worry about that.

Maze 4 is still one of the best GPU blocks around. I still use mine, and refuse to part with it.

If yo ugot your Hc form weapon, I'm guessing its a 2-302 ('77 bonny core), and thats one BEEFY radiator. Will easily out perform the off the shelf radiators.

You might consider going with a newer CPY block, the quad cores seem to liek the less restricive blocks better, (apogee, DTEK Fuzion, Maze 5).

Agreed! There have been many studies of cooling on quad cores and the Storms (G4+) don't work very well with them compared to the Apogee, newer Apogee GT, or the D-Tek Fusion.

Storms are still the best for lidless CPUs but I don't think the Phenom is doable that way. (Too bad, too! :-/) All I run is Storms but I'm into s939 DCs and run them bare (no IHS).

IMO - Sell the G4 and get a newer, low-restriction block for your quad. If you start cooling a quad and an SLI set-up you may need a newer DDC 3.2 (18W) ...

Last edited:
Storms!

I have to agree whith the smart people above me!

I had one on a Hot FX55(939) ran 46c Load @2950mhz. Then moved to AM2 with a Hotter 4800x2(AM2) ran 54c load @ 2800mhz. When I got my C2D it coudnt handle it, it was running 46c idle! Had to move to the Apogee GTX! On my Q6600 I run 26c/38c load(stock)! And my E6850 at 24c/40c@3600mhz!

The storm was a killer block and when I was runing single core, I would say it was the best! But they just wont remove the heat on the multi core CPUs! Its a flow issue for sure, those small jets force the water into the small holes, high pressure was the whole idea of the storm. High flow is the only way to remove all that heat that comes from the multi cores, Im thinking of adding another pump to my loop just for that reason!

Anyhow I still have my Storm too, but its more of a conversation piece these day, hate to sell it for $20, you know. Get a good high flow block, most of your other stuff is good to go, just your hardware(screws/springs/hold downs) may need updateing or modding! No biggie though!

I love my Apogee but I almost got one of those D-TEC blocks, I hear alot of good things about them.

Good luck with your H2O!

Agreed! There have been many studies of cooling on quad cores and the Storms (G5+) don't work very well with them compared to the Apogee, newer Apogee GT, or the D-Tek Fusion.

It is based on the G4 not the the G5. The G5 is silver version of the G4. The storm is based on the G4 with some minor revisions.

It is based on the G4 not the the G5. The G5 is silver version of the G4. The storm is based on the G4 with some minor revisions.
My bad, I remember now that you mention it. Post edited.

Storms!

I had one on a Hot FX55(939) ran 46c Load @2950mhz. Then moved to AM2 with a Hotter 4800x2(AM2) ran 54c load @ 2800mhz. When I got my C2D it coudnt handle it, it was running 46c idle! Had to move to the Apogee GTX! On my Q6600 I run 26c/38c load(stock)! And my E6850 at 24c/40c@3600mhz!

The storm was a killer block and when I was runing single core, I would say it was the best! But they just wont remove the heat on the multi core CPUs! Its a flow issue for sure, those small jets force the water into the small holes, high pressure was the whole idea of the storm. High flow is the only way to remove all that heat that comes from the multi cores, Im thinking of adding another pump to my loop just for that reason!

Anyhow I still have my Storm too, but its more of a conversation piece these day, hate to sell it for $20, you know.

[snip]
My Storms handle de-lidded Opty's and X2's very well. 40°C under SETI load ...

The Maze4 acetal blocks fit the 8800GTs, but I don't know about the Radeons.

The DDC will work just fine if you use a low restriction block, particularly the Fuzion (both of which I am using).

Ditto on getting another CPU block (Fuzion).

Back