• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clockgen and an OC-crippled BIOS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

I know that OCing should really be done from the BIOS, but when dealing with a BIOS that has no ability to OC at all, how dangerous is Clockgen?

Admittedly, even with Clockgen, I'm not going to be able to adjust the voltages either, so I'll have a limited overclock.

But I'm getting an E6300 to replace an E2140 chip, and I'm not sure how well that is going to work, or if the BIOS will recognize it properly.

Depending on the board, you might consider "pad-modding" the chip to make it boot at a different default speed. Using conductive ink, you could make a 266FSB chip boot at 333FSB instead -- which would give you a "default" speed of 2.33Ghz. I can't think of anyone who's needed extra voltage for such a comparitively small overclock :)

for a bios with no ocing options, i would always suggest the Pad mod first then clockgen... if your cpu did need more volts you could pad-vid mod it, for more volts. its a bit more involed to get it worked out. since you need the VID of the cpu to determine where to start with adding or subtracting voltage for the cpu.

pad modding is no guarantee but its better then possibly corrrupting HD data with clockgen. as for the processor part thats half true... the only way that would happen is if the voltage pad modding was done incorrectly. padding for different fsb's is not a issue, worst case the system will boot but be at stock fsb. in the case of gigabyte boards not boot at all and its not hard to undo the fsb pad mod to get it to work..

Well, I just got the E6300 in and loaded it up. The BIOS reports it correctly, but CPUZ says it is running a 1.4Ghz (7x200), and that the FSB is 800.

I'll go ahead and order the pen for the pad mod and give it a try. If it dies, I have the processor it came with, so I'm back to where I started, little harm, no foul on a work computer. I'm only out cash. However, it feels MUCH snappier! Probably all that L2 cache :santa: ! I'm checking to see how much faster folding is running.

Temps are running in the upper 40s according to CPUIDs Hardware monitor. I'm not sure if that is one of the versions that needs an offset.

All in all, even if I can't mod it faster, I think I'll be ok with the performance I have here. I might even try a quad if I can get one cheaply enough....

something is wrong then the E6300 has a fsb of 1066 so that should be 266 not 200..now if its the E2140 then that one is reporting correctly as its 800/200fsb..but still then its wrong the 2140 is 1.6ghz by 200mhz...

err well do you have the newest cpuz?

something is wrong then the E6300 has a fsb of 1066 so that should be 266 not 200..now if its the E2140 then that one is reporting correctly as its 800/200fsb..

Thinking about it, I would say that there isn't anything wrong with the chip, it is probably a motherboard issue. The BIOS did report it as a 1066 FSB chip. It just may not be able to deliver any more than 200. Which is leading me to think that the pad mod may not work.

This is what CPUZ reports. It the motherboard for an Optiplex 320 from Dell.

dell.jpg

call dell up for a new bios, i bet thats whats going on.... the Id string might be showing correctly in the bios but i bet the board is not doing the right fsb.

Well, the newest one they list for it is 1.1.11, so I'll give that a try. (Folding dropped from 39+ minutes per % down to 33 minutes.)

Ok, I've updated to the most current version of the bios. CPUZ still reporting 7x200, for 1.4Ghz. Looking at the RAM it says it is running it async. RAM is 667 value ram.

Well, I guess going ahead and trying the pad mod at this point is probably worth checking, but I'm not that hopeful...

Ok, reading up more on the pad mod, it looks like the BIOS has to be able to provide 1333 FSB for it to work. And I can't even get it to do 1066 FSB.

So it looks like I'm limited to clockgen (unless somebody else has another suggestion?) then.

However, it is no longer on the CPUID site. I found another copy of it for download (EXOC's site), but my board isn't listed among the PLL list. This is what I get when I set it to read clocks. Does anybody have a guide to point me to on how to use this, or knows what I need to set it for?

clockgen.jpg

not sure what to suggest now torin...i would look over at xs to see if someone might be able to make the PLL file for that proggy.

not sure what to suggest now torin...i would look over at xs to see if someone might be able to make the PLL file for that proggy.

Well, I made an account over there and while searching it looks like most DELL PLL chips are locked and don't have data sheets available.

However, identifying mine, and looking it up, it appears that mine DOES have a data sheet available, and while I'm not up to deciphering it, it appears to not be locked, and to go up to 400 Mhz.

http://www.idt.com/?partID=951413CGLF

Clockgen has an entry for the ICS 951412 and the ICS 951416, but not mine which is the ICS 951413.

Edit: Saw that the ICS 951416 setting should work for the ICS 951413. Going to try it out.

Last edited:
Definately not locked. Got it to 880 FSB. 900 FSB and it locks up. I'm thinking it might have some granularity, so tomorrow when I get back to work tomorrow if it is still up, I'll see if I can set it to 1066 FSB and if it will run. If not, it is a kind of disappointing OC.

I wonder if I can get somebody to mod their BIOS. Something to post in the Classies I guess. :)

i would look at the board since you said its ATI based. its highly possible that it might have come from ECS or someone else. to where you could just flash a bios to... like the HP system that uses the Asus maximuis 680i board... people are using the HP bios to get CF and SLI on one board..

Back